Range Rovers Forum banner

Tie end rod issue

Tags
end issue rod tie
3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  RoverGuy7 
#1 ·
hey guys, had my 07 sport on the lift today with about 85k miles and was checking the suspension out. I had just recently replaced the front and rear swag bar bushing and have replaced the LCA bushings about 20k miles ago and the seem find. I checked out the front sway bar links and they feel tight, however when i checked the play in the wheels by wiggling them left to right the driver side front seemed to have some play in it compared to the passenger front. The truck does seems to feel "loose" when going over bumps and such.

is this a common issue? should i go ahead and replace both of them on the front or just the driver side that seems to be having the play in them.

Thank you for any feedback

#2 ·
I assume your "tire" rods are steering "tie" rods. There are inner and outer tie rods. I always replace both if I do them unless they are relatively new and you see the outer ball joint on one side leaking or something, and also replace both sides together. You will need an alignment afterwards.

#4 ·
I couldn't say for sure if it will or not, but you've replaced 2 out of 4 culprits (LCA, swaybar bushings (endlinks too?) and now all that's left is the tie rods and UCA. What ends up happening is tight new parts make the old parts seem loose. The UCA usually takes a lot less abuse than the lower so you should be good there unless its lived a hard life.

Or maybe you just have an alignment issue--sometimes that can make it feel loose.

#5 ·
when i replaced the LCA the UCA seemed pretty good so I didn't replace them. I checked the sway bar links and the seems pretty tight with no play so i just assumed they didn't need replacing, would you recommend changing them regardless since they aren't too pricey?, and lastly my alignment seems pretty dead on but like you said I need to get that re done after the steering rods

#8 ·
also can't believe i forgot to mention this, i had my front Diff replaced about 12k miles ago at the stealer, and when it was there they also told me to replace the driver side HUB, however I said no thanks.. still have not replaced it, would this cause any play in the steering? other than that it doesn't seems to be too loud at all or make any funky noises

#11 ·
I've never heard a wheel bearing make that noise. The best way to diagnose a bad wheel bearing is when its spinning--it makes a rumbling noise like you have AT/MT tires on, and depending on which side its on will get quieter when you make a R or L sweeping turn. If it's really bad you may get the wheel to move in and out along the axle, but by then its howling when you drive.

That's a tinny squeaking like a dried out rubber bushing, dried out ball joint, or a steering rack issue.

#12 ·
well i took it to the dealer and showed the SA the video and he showed it to a tech, he said it was normal and was due to the sway bar assembly being dry and it isn't an issue.... Not sure if i really buy it but we will see if the noise gets louder

#14 ·
Inner tie rods are suspect on these trucks, RH seems to fail more often then left, front hubs also fail regularly, regardless of side. Play in the wheel with hands at 6 and 12 indicates play in the bearing(fix this as soon as possible) play only with hands at 3 and 9 indicate tie rod issues. Both will cause a loose steering feel, hub will also cause the truck to wonder, and even follow the crown of the road pretty severely.

Does it always make that noise, or just in certain conditions?

If there is enough play in the hub to allow the rotor to shift and touch the backing plate, it can make a similar noise (I'm listening to it on my phone though, so might not be getting the best representation of it)

There isn't much point in changing the tie rods prematurely, just make sure they get checked at each service, or if you start to feel a change in steering response. But they're simple mechanical joints, it's either good, bad, or should have been replaced a while ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.