RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 SHE and started to have lifters ticking when I switched to a different oil and used a cleaner. Here is where I get worried sounds like the ticking got louder now and with a sort of nocking sound but not sure can anyone help. Having it looked at tommorrow Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
wmjsajudge said:
I have a 98 SHE and started to have lifters ticking when I switched to a different oil and used a cleaner. Here is where I get worried sounds like the ticking got louder now and with a sort of nocking sound but not sure can anyone help. Having it looked at tommorrow Thanks
G'DAY MATE WHAT OIL DID YOU USE PREVIUOSLY TO WHAT YOU ARE USING NOW?How many Ks or miles has the car done previous history etc?

If you have high miles/ ks on car use a thicker oil,don't wory about using synthetic, use a semi/synthetic and change more often. every 3000miles /5000klm.Woudn't use anything less than 15w/50w and some oil stabilizer eg Lucus , half a bottle per oil change..Why???? The oil in these cars high milage will be at its use by time , thinking oil change every 6months 10,000klm or 6000miles is only doing more damge and lessing the life of your engine
It could also be the oilpump relief valve, if you have a oil leak dripping off oil filter the o-ring will need to be replaced.when worn it allows oil bypass and it also allows the cap to be sucked in and out and makeing a ticking sound :think:

There two senarios to think about
Good Luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Selbyn I have only had it a month and not sure how many oil changes but I've done one as soon as I got it. Going to have one today and trans fluid too. I used 5w 30 with treatment but now I'm going to castrol 10w 40 like everyone is recommending.it had 131000 when I got it now it has 134500. Also the front main seal leaks and is being replaced today as well as throttle position sensor. Inoticed yesterday the pan looked like it is leaking so maybe that might need changing to or just oil fron the main seal leak.Any other thoughts let me know thanks

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,425 Posts
wmjsajudge said:
it had 131000 when I got it now it has 134500.
Miles or km?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts