RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 range Rover hse 169k miles.. .dealing with lean conditions in both banks pending...... and now a recent thermostat codes,,, and planning to change the thermostat

this am when i opened my hood, i heard the following ticking noise from the drivers side in the morning when i started the vehicle as a cold start..
i also posted a video of the engine after a 40 minute drive...
any thoughts on what the ticking noise may be?

here is a link to a video clip of the engine running when warm

here is a link to a video clip of the engine running at cold start

any thoughts on what this can be or isnt? what should i be expecting my mechanic to tell me...

rover runs great... except for some lean codes p0174/1 which are pending.... and a thermostat that im going to replace once i get it..

thank you

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE
28 Posts
Considering the mileage your engine actually sounds really good. My 2015 does something similar, when it's cold there's no ticking, after it's warmed up there's a ticking from the passenger side, I've had both the dealer and an independent shop look at it and everyone says that's normal. But the independent shop said it could be a fuel injector or perhaps a idler pulley.
There's so many things on these vehicles that tick that it's really hard to pin it down.
Sounds like your lean codes are pcv related.
I was also getting lean bank 1 and 2 and replaced the pcv, but code came back lean bank 1, turned out to be the symposer and pcv.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ticking sounds normal to me. Could be valve train noise but most likely injectors.

For the lean running look at the PCV first. Relatively cheap to buy and easy to replace. I just purchased a 2008 L322 with the same 4.4 which throws the same code. The PCV (and hose) looks to be new, but makes a loud hissing noise. Reading online there are a lot of cheap PCVs out there which are cheaply and poorly made and are causing all sorts of issues. The PCV on my car looks cheap and I ordered a replacement Land Rover original part (~$45). Hopefully this will addres the issue..

Not sure what a Symposer is, will have a look at that if the new PCV does not fix it.

·
Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport HSE
28 Posts
Not sure if the L322 has a symposer, it's basically a box that makes the vehicle growl when rpm is above 4000, a totally unnecessary part but can get vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
L322 - 2005, 2006 na, 2012 sc
212 Posts
2010-2012 L322 has the symposer. It pipes engine sound into the cabin of the vehicle and serves no useful purpose.

The tick at :46 of the second video - A good mechanic should be able to quickly tell if the tick is crank speed, cam speed, internal or external.

·
Registered
2006 Range Rover Supercharged L322
67 Posts
Sounds like mine. I'm pretty sure it's injectors. I am going to do a BG treatment soon, at 125k it's time for a cleaning anyway. On my 06 Dodge 4.7 it was the exhaust manifold gasket but I was afraid to pull it because those have a habit of breaking the manifold bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts