RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 LSE with lots of problems i am slowly working through. I have an annoying ticking noise seems to be coming from the Gearbox/ transfer box area. It is most prominant when in drive but if you take your foot off the accelerator it goes away. You can still hear it in neutral but it is much quieter. If i poot my foot on the brake when in drive and rev the engine it is louder again. It sounds like a relay clicking on and off very quickly. I,m not really up on 4 wheel drive so bear with me. Am i right in assuming that when the gearbox is in neutral the transfer box and gearbox are not turning so if i am still getting the noise in neutral it cant be anything mechanical in the gearboxes. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes in neutral, drive is not going through the gearbox and therefore not into the transfer. However drive is still going into the gearbox from the engine.

I take it it couldn't be an exhaust leak, like a single cylinder manifold leak. They quite often give a tick tick noise. Not sure why that would be louder in drive though...

·
Registered
81 Posts
You know I had a ticking/rattle noise and thought the same thing. It turned out to be an exhaust part that had came loose. Not sure that is your issue, but just a thought....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Thanks for the info. I was thinking perhaps something to do with the exhaust because its not in the best of shape. i,ll check the connections and fittings, see what i can find. Many Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine was a large O thing that connected to lengths of exhaust pipe together....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts