RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport, 2013 Range Rover Supercharged
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been getting a ticking sound at idle when I restart the engine. This tick only happens after the car has been sitting for a good 20-30 minutes or so. I've looked at some videos of the timing chain noise because I know thats a problem with this engine, but a lot of people said you should hear it during a cold start but mine sounds "normal" during a cold start. Here is a video of the noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTS3i22QFyw

2010 RRS SC / 120,000 Miles

Thanks!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
8 Posts
Mines sort of sounds very similar to this, but maybe louder and on cold starts. Actually, it may always sound like that. I took it to dealer closest to me and they say the timing could be slightly worn over time and it's normal. I have a jag with what I think is the same engine that doesn't sound like this. I am going to an Indy next week to have it assessed. Please keep us updated on any findings you have with yours.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
38 Posts
I am very interested to see what you guys find out. Every once in awhile I'll hear the same noise as in the video. Only on startup, but, not all the time. I have a 2012 RRS GT Limited and it only has 37,000 kms on it, so I highly doubt it's the timing chain but you never know.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
I thought this sounded more like the very noisy fuel pumps that are on these rigs. Somewhere there is a Youtube of one of the old timers (UmbertoB) changing his oil using a suction pump. Listen as he starts his engine to check for leaks -- same sound (?)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m going to bring it to my indy tomorrow or tuesday and will let you guys know what they find. I found this video of an LR4 making the same noise - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxC2qEA_iSs

I found that video from somebody on the land rover forum and he ended up having to do the timing chains so we’ll see. I’ll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
231 Posts
Yes, my bet is on the timing blade guides and tensioners - very deep sound from the top and bottom (in your video) Fuel pumps are on the other side of the engine, oil viscosity thicker when cold - tensioners hold pressure to guides better, and chain has not expanded yet with engine cold. noise most likely not present when engine is cold as this whole process of worn guides is in the beginning stages.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My indy can't take me until Monday so when I find out more I will let you know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys, got my car back today. My indy checked the noise out and said that IF anything it's at the beginning stages of the timing chain wearing but he couldn't say for sure. He did not want to perform the work because he wasn't confident enough that it was actually the timing chain and that the noise I was hearing would go away. He said it should be a much more consistent rattling noise and if I start to experience that to bring it back in. Good luck to all you guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts