690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the help and advice.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pressurising cooling, ticking at idle now a thorough clattering, can't be arsed with these unreliable buckets and going back to old Citroëns.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it was, but it's got every possible sign of dropped liners.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Too bad. Could have all been avoided with a good pre-purchase inspection. Don't blame the truck. She was trying to tell you all along...

Have fun with those Citroens... they are fugly...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Old Citroëns with hydraulic suspension?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, a bit less complicated than EAS but messier when you have to take it apart ;-)

The annoying thing is that every **** thing works in this Range Rover and its interior cleaned up quite nicely. I don't think I'd trust a second-hand engine and it's just not worth putting a recon into.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right - in all seriousness, is it actually worth fitting a second-hand engine? Is there anyone particularly good for getting an engine from? I've spotted a couple of sellers with 90-100k engines on eBay around the 500 quid mark, with about 60 quid to ship. They don't offer much of a guarantee though.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Try Emmotts of Colne. Should give a warranty and be able to fit it for you.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Right - in all seriousness, is it actually worth fitting a second-hand engine? Is there anyone particularly good for getting an engine from? I've spotted a couple of sellers with 90-100k engines on eBay around the 500 quid mark, with about 60 quid to ship. They don't offer much of a guarantee though.
It doesn't sound like you're all that enamored with the truck. You need to keep in mind that other things can and will go wrong with these even after the expensive motor replacement. That's something to factor in to the equation.

Personally I would fit a NEW engine into my Rover, but I can see a cheap second hand motor being worth a look. It's an expensive job any way you look at it and to me, the cost benefit analysis of having a reliable new motor versus an unknown used one would scare me away from the used one. That being said, if the price difference was enormous I would go for a second hand one.

There are few vehicles that I would rather be driving - the others cost over $25k AND have the same mechanical nightmare quotient potential (ie Audi S4) so I see a $5,000 motor replacement as being cheaper than a different equally satisfying car. My $.02

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sorry to hear it. We got 65K miles from ours and although valves noisier it still runs well. But had to get a newer one and of course without a history, took a chance and now some issues. We got a bit of warranty (fineprint not so good) so hopefully it will cover some repairs before the warranty expires. I have seen discos with the 4.0 for 1200 to 1500 cdn for 2002 versions but its always a labour of love to do it and more money. A cheaper option might be to rent one for a few months and get it out of our system. Cheers

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In for a penny, in for a pound I guess. I bought an engine from a breaker on eBay with excellent feedback, who sounds pretty genuine and was able to give me a reasonable history of the donor car, and a month to test it out. If it wasn't for the fact that it's pretty solid underneath and drives straight and all the rest, I would have broken it for spares - but it basically seems more-or-less sound. If it had been tidier inside and out, I'd have bought another engine weeks ago...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts