RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 RR Apparently I've never stomped all the way down on the gas until today... I noticed when you mash it all the way down it feels like it hits a button or something that triggers wide open throttle and the engine goes nuts.

Anyone experience this? Never heard the engine rumble like that before it had me concerned.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, that's what the magic button does. It will downshift to lowest possible gear for your speed.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RRDave said:
Yes, that's what the magic button does. It will downshift to lowest possible gear for your speed.
It doesn't sound right when it does that, maybe a grinding noise or something I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe the engine just sounds like that at WOT...

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Took me about a day to find that, but I have a heavy right foot! However the engine does sound a bit "un-refined" at high RPM's, and who can afford the petrol at WOT!?

‘Kick-down’

To provide rapid acceleration for overtaking,
push the accelerator pedal to the full extent of
its travel (this is known as ‘kick-down’), a ‘click’
will be felt through the accelerator pedal. Up to
a certain speed, this will cause an immediate
downshift to the lowest appropriate gear,
followed by rapid acceleration. Once the pedal
is relaxed, normal gear change speeds will
resume (dependent upon road speed and
accelerator pedal position).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Not sure how strange the noise you heard was... the "click" you describe is normal, but I don't know about the engine noise. I am almost tempted to speculate that it could be the fan clutch locking up, causing the fan to spin with the engine? That would sound pretty crazy/intense at high RPM.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I might note, that if it IS the fan clutch locking up be careful with the pedal, it may rev too high and the plastic fan will explode tearing up all sorts of stuff such as your radiator and could even put a blade through the hood or worse. It is normal for the fan to speed up and get louder when more cooling is needed (and there isn't already air flow because you are going fast) but if it really sounds loud (almost like a diesel engine or something) then something may not be right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts