RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source for the original throttle position sensor or potentiometer for a '93 RRC LWB that isn't $300 - $500? I don't want to pay over $100 for a used one on Ebay that is unlikely to be problem free. Failing finding a new original, has anyone bought one of the Brit Part modified TPS that all seem to have this description "Adapts the Rover Plenum to Accept the Colvern Throttle Pot, replaces the 2 bolt throttle pot as fitted to all 3.9 V8's and later 3.5 V8 Engines from the late Flapper Type to the hotwire 14cux." My engine is a 4.2L V8 and don't know if these modified TPSs will work for my truck.
Any advice is greatly appreciated as my truck is throwing 17 codes and starting to have idle issues.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I would think the newer tps will work...
They are pricey... but new...
It is an investment..
I use used ones myself and have had no problems.... have you tried to unplug you tps and then replug it to see if it has a bad connection...
And clean your plenum...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes to both of those questions. I took removed it and brushed off the "key tab" and then cleaned the socket and put in some dielectric grease. I thought that fixed it, but a couple drives later it threw a code again. I then replaced it with an old TPS that I had that was shot. I confirmed that it was indeed no good as it idled rough and would surge when I just touched the accelerator. So, back to the current one. I did also clean out my plenum which wasn't in that bad a shape and it didn't seem to help or hurth anything. Interesting that you have had good luck with this used part. I do buy used parts but try to steer clear of any sensors or electronics. There are 2 or 3 used ones on sale on Ebay for about $100. I wonder why Bearmach and the others stopped making these? Besides the obvious answer of there are less and less trucks out there, they seem to make all kinds of other parts. These don't seem all that hard to manufacture.
Thanks Mikieman.

·
Registered
101 Posts

One option above. I thought I saw an adapter plate set up that allowed you to use an easily available tps. If I find it, I will post it up

This is a great write up and worth the time to read:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My used tps’s were all removed by me...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Colvern adapter works great, play around with it till you get the right idle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the post NormalEar. These guys really know the Rover engines. I looked up the RPi Engineering and wish they were over here in the US. They do ship over here though and it wasn't outrageous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Colvern adapter works great, play around with it till you get the right idle.
Hi Xalt, When you say play around with the new Colvern pot., does that mean play around with the idle adjust under the bung plug on the top of the plenum?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts