RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
my throttle cable is in need of a small tightening. i have rave and searched here and my question is not how do you do it but:
how much backbone should be required to loosen the locking nut on the cable? mine is really on there and i don't want to do any harm to the nut or cable by torquing the crap out of it. i don't know if the stealership used something like loctite on that baby last service or what but i can't budge it. don't want to do more harm than good here. experiences? seems pretty easy to loosen for some members...
best,
dutch

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input shupack. i read a bunch of members' posts that made it seem theirs was fairly loose as well. hmmm. there's no corrosion or rust or anything (see pic), just tighter than all getout. i'm inclined to give kmag's suggestion a try. :think:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Make sure you're turning it the right way too. It doesn't turn the way you'd think it would. Look closely at the threads to figure out which way is which. Make sure to look at both sides.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
knowing me i'm turning it the wrong way...i think i tried both ways before to be sure but was using kid gloves after it wouldn't budge. it's probably just stuck. we're definitely miles from finger-tight turf as shupack mentioned so i may still be in the market for pb blaster or liquid wrench, etc. i'll give it another go. :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
With a wrench on the cable nut and another on the lock nut it should pop right loose. They should never be much more than finger tight/snug.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I think the throttle adjustment differs depending on if you have a GEMS (95-99) or Bosch (99-02) model. The adjustment on a GEMS is a simple 'thumb wheel', wheras the on a Bosch it looks like you need a few small spanners (- looking at the pix above).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
paul, that is the situation. cable does not have that handy wheel in my year. dealing with two nuts that are in it to win it at the moment. they'll come around...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts