Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2011 Range Rover HSE 133K miles. Never been in a accident very clean.

thoughts on should i get the engine rebuilt as was just told Head Gaskets are blown.. Don't ask me why.. my nephew was driving.. :mad::mad::mad:

So far cheapest quote I got was 11K to rebuild the engine..

Looking online, it's worth 12-15K running.

Any thoughts on this? Not looking to spend 100K on a market that is already over priced. I guess I don't know is will the rebuild work if done right or am looking for a ton more issues to come up. As of date, I have put nothing in the range since I got it in 2013 with 25K miles besides basic normal wear and tear.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 HSE Td6
1,060 Posts
Is the $12-15k with a blown engine or a good running engine? If you've kept great care of the truck, the interior is still in great shape (10 years can do a lot to an interior) and you have no other problems/niggles with it, then it's probably worth it in my book. If the value was $15k with a blown engine and you took the $11k to rebuild the engine, what could you get for $26k? If what you could get for $26-$30k is as good as the truck repaired, then it's a tough decision. If you can get better than you have, or you can't get as good as you have, then it's an easy decision.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the $12-15k with a blown engine or a good running engine? If you've kept great care of the truck, the interior is still in great shape (10 years can do a lot to an interior) and you have no other problems/niggles with it, then it's probably worth it in my book. If the value was $15k with a blown engine and you took the $11k to rebuild the engine, what could you get for $26k? If what you could get for $26-$30k is as good as the truck repaired, then it's a tough decision. If you can get better than you have, or you can't get as good as you have, then it's an easy decision.
thanks
New rings new bearings and rebuild heads
And all timing chains and guides per the mechanic. Interior is super clean and exterior is very nice No other issues

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,605 Posts
Are the equivalent Jaguar 5.0L engines identical? There seems to be about a 5K premium for buying a 5.0L Range Rover engine just for the name.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I guess you can decide which you would rather have, your's with a new engine or another RR with less known history. If I were otherwise happy with it, I would have the engine rebuilt with the updated timing tensioners and refresh all the wear parts.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Are the equivalent Jaguar 5.0L engines identical? There seems to be about a 5K premium for buying a 5.0L Range Rover engine just for the name.
Mark,

Close enough to very easily modify. I’ve installed Jag into RR, taking advantage of the cost saving of the $5k Jag vs twice the cost for RR used motors.

OP can PM me for overview of the simple and straightforward mods needed to swap in the Jag based donor motor if they choose to go that route.

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts