RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m finishing up a timing job on my 05 Range Rover with 4.4 m62 engine. As the title says, I’m leaning towards deleting the injector plug metal retaining clips to make future removal easier. Those things are such a pain in the butt to remove with a pick tool. I figure since the injector plug wire routing box is bolted to the fuel rail by two bolts, the plugs should not really be getting pulled out accidentally anyways. Any thoughts or experiences on why that’s not a good idea? Easier future removal is very tempting to me right now but wanted to run it by the community first. Thanks I’m advanced.

·
Registered
924 Posts
How many times are you really going to remove those plugs in the future? Mine have been in place for 199K miles and never been fooled with (although I will be changing the injectors soon). Might as well just leave them the way the factory designed them to be, they wouldn't spend the money for them if they felt they weren't needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea you have a point about factories decisions, but this is my 2nd time this week taking them off. And at this point I don’t want to ever have to fight these things off again. I saw a video where they just pull them out. I tried that and one of the plastic tabs broke. So it was all pick tool work from there. Surely it’s just in my mind but I’m thinking it’s the most annoying part to remove while removing things for a timing job. Close 2nd would be the bottom timing cover. So I am still leaning towards not reusing them just in case there is a third removal in my future. Thanks for your input though. Any other thoughts? I might have to be the first trail blazer on this one I’m guessing. Lol

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I've R&R'd my injectors on my 2003 when I replaced the valley pan (gasket leak), and don't recall even any slight problem removing the retaining clips on the connectors. I did get an injector kit with O-rings & I think clips when I put it back together, but no real problems.

I agree that if it's in there, there're reasons. And it's usually not worth it to leave parts out.
Would you have to disconnect the injectors for the lower timing cover? I don't recall having to disconnect the injectors when I did the upper covers.
How long have you had your 2005?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I R&Red the valley pan gaskets on two similar BMW motors.

That required removing the fuel injector loom.

Both times, I managed to lose several of the clips.

I didn't bother replacing any of the clips and had zero problems afterwards.

I personally think the clips are belts and suspenders.

Probably needed when assembling the motor, but no necessarily necessary afterwards.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bank 1 - Cylinder 4 is the one that breaks (not sure but also maybe Bank 2 - Cylinder 8). If you look at the unit you will see why the plastic breaks.

That said just do that one (or two) via the clips and do the rest by giving a firm pull. That is how I handle it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the firm pull method was the one I first tried. It ended up breaking one of the little legs inside the wiring box that secured the box to the actual injector. I ended up deleting the clips anyways since the two bolts securing the wiring box aren’t going to let the plugs go anywhere. I kept the clips in a zip lock bag in the trunk just Incase. No problems so far. Just Incase anyone else has to do things 3 times because of this or that. It works just fine. I would advise against it if your going to jump a ramp in the Rover Nitro Circus style, but otherwise I dont see any problems happening because of it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Removed mine (2005 L322 M62) prob 4 times over the last 9 years for various reasons/repairs. I use a pick, or small screwdriver for all 8 and really don't have a problem. Takes maybe 10-15min to get them all off going slow. I've never thought about leaving them all off, I guess you could, as I guess they are kind of held on by pressure form the Loom Box bolted to the fuel rail. But really, I wouldn't expect this to be something that you are constantly removing. Sure you did it twice in the last week, but hopefully that's it for a while! And no, i would not use the pull/jerk method, as things break when you do that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I will say this - the clips are a pain in the ... But, they are there for a reason. If the injector(s) come undone the engine could die and some one could get hurt.

Personally not worth the short cut and time savings.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would think the worst that could happen is without the clips
Is that it spills gas all over the motor
And burns up all the wireing before you can get it out
So have a full fire extinguisher close by when you start it

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have two 2004 Rovers and removed the metal retaining clips on both of my rovers. I have been daily driving Rover 1 for 4 years since I removed the clips and never had an issue. I saved them in case I ever want to reinstall them again. Just make sure you fully seat the electric boxes over the fuel injectors and fasten the nuts and washers down securely to the rail to keep it in place, it should not come loose.

It makes for removing the wiring harness much easier, should you need to remove the valve covers or get to anything else.

Remove those clips and don't look back.

If you need extra justification, imagine if you were on the road on a long trip...and you needed, for whatever reason, to pop a valve cover off. Imagine how easy it would be to do with those clips already removed versus them on....Night and day.

While we're on the subject of emergency repairs...another thing to invest in is a small donut shaped magnet to rescue one of the round washers off the valve cover nuts...in the unlikely event that it falls onto a spark plug and gets nested around the spark plug and the spark plug hole in the cylinder head. That happened to me twice. 6 hours the first time to drill two holes in the washer and delicately pull it out with wire...5 minuts the second time: shopvac. Next time I'll have a donut shaped rare earth magnet..and it will be 5 seconds. It's the little unexpected things that always get you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts