RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
Hello guys this is my first post, I have looked at a 2012 Range Rover HSE with 150,000 miles. The dealership is asking $9000 for it. I had my mechanic inspect the car which he said was in pretty good condition.

Now I’m not sure if $9000 is too much for a Range Rover with that much miles( the car has always been serviced well.)

I’m I crazy for wanting to get at least 5 years out of the car?

My wife and our children take a lot of road trips all along the east coast, do you guys think high mileage engine can handle it?
I have a 2006 supercharged with 380,000 on it. Put a new remanufactured tranny in at 250,000 and a few airbags from Arnaut and that’s about it. These engines are bullet proof of you do regular maintenance. I do synthetic oil changes every 10,000. I would not hesitate to buy that truck. Make then do any repairs you deem necessary prior to purchase. Happy motoring. I also have two L405’s that have over 155,000 on them and they have been completely trouble free so it’s not a fluke.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
I called all the dealerships the car has been serviced however they all told me that hadn’t done a timing chain and tensioner on it. Now the car has 150k miles on I highly doubt the car would’ve made it that far on original chain and tensioner. Injector/plugs/ and coils have been done by dealer selling car.
My biggest concern is the transmission I’m not sure if it’s ever been serviced. I know if I have it serviced now it might ruin it. The car shifts pretty good except once in a while there’s a bit of hesitation when you step on gas at highway speeds
About 150,000 is the normal lifespan of the timing chain guides, so it’s really very likely that it is still running on its original timing chain, tensioner, and guides.
When you start the engine, you want to listen for brief (a few seconds) of rattle that sounds as though it’s coming from the underside. That’s the sound of timing chain guides breaking into pieces in your oil.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
9 Posts
This motor can go over 300k. Make sure the timing chain and tensioner issue is taken care of. Check the water pump and and the hoses related to the coolant system. At this mileage you should also consider all new 8 injectors/plugs/coils as they are known to leak.These are the only real issues that can cause catastrophic failure.

Air struts, sensors, control arms, bushings are all easy and cheap to do. Expect to do those throughout the next 5 years. Along with frequent oil changes every 5k miles, and differential/transfer case services every 25k miles.

This motor will last a long time of you treat it with care and love.

good luck there is nothing like a Range Rover with the 5.0

That’s a great price for a 2012 too even if it needs some work you are getting a gooddeal
Excellent advice about the timing chain. Their lifespan averages about 150,000 miles.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts