Range Rovers Forum banner

Thoughts on 12 RR HSE 150,000 miles.

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  GordonSerou 
#1 ·
Hello guys this is my first post, I have looked at a 2012 Range Rover HSE with 150,000 miles. The dealership is asking $9000 for it. I had my mechanic inspect the car which he said was in pretty good condition.

Now I’m not sure if $9000 is too much for a Range Rover with that much miles( the car has always been serviced well.)

I’m I crazy for wanting to get at least 5 years out of the car?

My wife and our children take a lot of road trips all along the east coast, do you guys think high mileage engine can handle it?

#2 ·
This motor can go over 300k. Make sure the timing chain and tensioner issue is taken care of. Check the water pump and and the hoses related to the coolant system. At this mileage you should also consider all new 8 injectors/plugs/coils as they are known to leak.These are the only real issues that can cause catastrophic failure.

Air struts, sensors, control arms, bushings are all easy and cheap to do. Expect to do those throughout the next 5 years. Along with frequent oil changes every 5k miles, and differential/transfer case services every 25k miles.

This motor will last a long time of you treat it with care and love.

good luck there is nothing like a Range Rover with the 5.0

That’s a great price for a 2012 too even if it needs some work you are getting a gooddeal

#3 ·
I called all the dealerships the car has been serviced however they all told me that hadn’t done a timing chain and tensioner on it. Now the car has 150k miles on I highly doubt the car would’ve made it that far on original chain and tensioner. Injector/plugs/ and coils have been done by dealer selling car.
My biggest concern is the transmission I’m not sure if it’s ever been serviced. I know if I have it serviced now it might ruin it. The car shifts pretty good except once in a while there’s a bit of hesitation when you step on gas at highway speeds

#6 · (Edited)
Purchasing almost any vehicle with someone else's 150,000 miles of prior enjoyment is a gamble, just like roulette.

Worst case scenario, can you afford to walk away from your $9000 if you've bet on red and the car turns into a 00?

If so that's a lot of car for $9000 and, as a previous poster noted, if you are able to do most of the maintenance yourself or with the guidance of a knowledgable mentor you should be able to mostly enjoy owning this vehicle.

It probably will frustrate you at some point in the future simply because there's a bunch of stuff waiting to go wrong but diligent research and perseverance will usually pay off and the ability/willingness to "get your hands dirty" saves most of the expenditure on the more serious labour intensive repair bills (not that the parts are always cheap either but rockauto.com is a good source for service items, fwiw) ;)

Just remember that you'll NOT be maintaining a $9000 vehicle but a "...whatever the as new price of the vehicle was...." (more likely north of $80k+).

All the best,

Rob

#10 ·
The older the transmission, the more likely the "new fluid trashed my tranny" scenario may play out. At 150K miles, it's a coin toss as to whether your trans is truly "high mileage," as opposed to 200K+ miles. I tend to agree with the owner of a transmission shop near my home, that a fluid change on a hi-mi trans can initiate a failure, but that failure was likely on the horizon regardless -- it just happened sooner. (Yes, that's a self-serving opinion for a trans shop, but I suspect there's truth to it nonetheless.)

Without commenting on the Rover purchase itself, personally I'd find a shop to do the fluid change if the dealer doesn't want to. My suspicion is that your trans is still young enough that a fluid change won't be problematic.

I've found Edmunds.com vehicle pricing to be accurate -- I'd defer to them for an offer price.

#14 ·
We see a steady stream of these trucks with worn out chains in the 100-150k range. If this truck has not had a chain update in the past 50k miles you should be ready for an $8k repair when you start to get cam position faults, or when the chain noise is excessive. I know these trucks have gotten inexpensive but the cost of this repair is a big reason why, so just know what you are jumping into. Also I urge you to do the transmission, transfer case, and drive axle fluids if still original because the alternative is replacing those units when they fail.

#15 ·
I just sold my 11 HSE with 92k and recent timing job completed to Land Rover Louisville for 12k. I couldn’t stand looking at it any longer and after leaving me and my wife stranded 6-8 times, I was unwilling to sell it to someone myself. Had lots of interest here and locally and just couldn’t do it. If you love the trucks and don’t mind sinking time and money into them, then go for it. The price is reflective of that. If you’re looking for something reliable, then don’t buy this.

#19 ·
I bought my 2010 RRS HSE in April 2019 for $11250 with 142000. Researching sites like this and YouTube I knew what to expect if I purchased it and paid what I felt was reasonable if I did need to work on it. Mine did not have excessive electronic options and I am glad it doesn’t. Less to fail.
I ended up spending a weekend changing the timing chain tensioners and guides, they were definitely bad. I downloaded the shop manual, bought the correct tools on eBay and an aftermarket chain kit all for $600 with my own labor. The job sucked but it was satisfying after I was done.
I also have swapped all four air struts and arm bushings for another $700 aftermarket and everything major is like new and drives like it.
Oil changes are easy with a cheap $12 oil suction pump.
I still have some minor things to do but I am happy thus far. If it becomes a problem then I had my fun.

#21 ·
Hello guys this is my first post, I have looked at a 2012 Range Rover HSE with 150,000 miles. The dealership is asking $9000 for it. I had my mechanic inspect the car which he said was in pretty good condition.

Now I’m not sure if $9000 is too much for a Range Rover with that much miles( the car has always been serviced well.)

I’m I crazy for wanting to get at least 5 years out of the car?

My wife and our children take a lot of road trips all along the east coast, do you guys think high mileage engine can handle it?
I have a 2006 supercharged with 380,000 on it. Put a new remanufactured tranny in at 250,000 and a few airbags from Arnaut and that’s about it. These engines are bullet proof of you do regular maintenance. I do synthetic oil changes every 10,000. I would not hesitate to buy that truck. Make then do any repairs you deem necessary prior to purchase. Happy motoring. I also have two L405’s that have over 155,000 on them and they have been completely trouble free so it’s not a fluke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.