RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Alright - I'm taking the plunge. Just received the CAN Bus Filter from NAV-TV. Their part number is VTC-RR and I paid $500 for it delivered. I also got the Terk SIR-SP which gives me two of the FAKRA connectors needed to plug into the back of the Navigation screen. I also got a female S-Video connector to solder onto the end of the 2 FAKRA connectors (I figure I may as well add the second connector now just in case I need it for the future and this way I won't have to pull the Nav screen out ever again. And finally, I have a 16' S-Video cable to run from the back of the RSE module to Nav screen.

Didn't get very far before I started running into trouble. Here's what I've done so far:

While attempting to solder the FAKRA connector to the female S-Video connector, I pulled the center conductor out of one of the FAKRA connectors while trying to strip the center conductor. The second FAKRA connector is attahced and good. Tomarrow I'm going to try to find another Terk SIR-SP so I can add the second FAKRA connector.

Went and pulled upper center console trim off so I could remove the Nav screen. Got the trim off no problem but what a pain in the ass to get the Nav screen out. I must be doing something wrong because I can't see how you can get the Nav screen in and out fo the dash without scrapping the crap out of the air vents on either side of the screen. I finally got it out but wow - it was a bitch.

So now I needed to get to the connectors on the back of the radio. Rather than remove the radio (which is not as easy as you would think) I was able to just reach behind the radio and remove the wire plugs that I needed to get to in order to connect the Nav-TV VTC-RR.

Below is a picture of the instructions that came with the VTC-RR.

I'll hopefully have this all done and have my Rover back to normal by tomarrow night. Stay tunned.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yea, sorry... I've just been swamped lately with the holidays and all.
I plan to get it done soon. I still need to order the $500 in-motion module
from NAV-TV though.

davidkaron said:
While attempting to solder the FAKRA connector to the female S-Video connector, I pulled the center conductor out of one of the FAKRA connectors while trying to strip the center conductor.
Yea, its a little tricky. I just used a razor blade.
The second FAKRA connector is attahced and good. Tomorrow I'm going to try to find another Terk SIR-SP so I can add the second FAKRA connector.
Is this just so you have an extra? You only need one.
I must be doing something wrong because I can't see how you can get the Nav screen in and out fo the dash without scrapping the crap out of the air vents on either side of the screen. I finally got it out but wow - it was a bitch.
It shouldn't be that difficult to remove, you did remove the air vents right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The one FAKRA connector is attahced and good. Tomorrow I'm going to try to find another Terk SIR-SP so I can add the second FAKRA connector.

Is this just so you have an extra? You only need one.
Yes - I figure if I add another video source latter (back up camera, etc.) it will already be connected via the 2nd FAKRA in the back of the Nav screen. Is that not how it works?

I must be doing something wrong because I can't see how you can get the Nav screen in and out fo the dash without scrapping the crap out of the air vents on either side of the screen. I finally got it out but wow - it was a bitch.

It shouldn't be that difficult to remove, you did remove the air vents right?
That must be it - the air vents! I didn't remove them. I couldn't figure out how do you get them out. I see one screw at the bottom of each vent and removed it but they are still attached somehow. How do you remove the air vents?

-David

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
David, that third input is useless without software telling the infotainment system to show on the monitor whatever video is being fed to it (such as the image from a backup cam, for example.) It's not going to hurt to have it prewired I guess, but just hooking up a video source won't make it work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I see - well I guess since I'm back there already, I'll just hook it up anyway. Maybe it will prevent me from having to remove the nav screen agian for some future add on.

Do you happen to know what the s-video cable is for that is already plugged into the RSE module (the one I removed to plug in my S-video cable that will run to the back of the nav screen)? I don't seem to lose anyting when I disconnect it. I'm wondering if the factory s-video cable is already running up to the nav screen somwhere and just not connected? If so that would save me from having to run my cable assuming I could find the factory one up in the dash somewhere.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
You wouldn't have an 07, would you? 2006s shouldn't have anything plugged in there. My understanding is that 2007s are already pre-wired to the front monitor, to allow viewing of DVDs while parked - finally enabling that feature that owners outside of North American enjoyed since the first day the Sport was sold (that cable was missing from RSE equipped US Sports in 2006.) So, in theory starting in 2007 the Nav-TV module would only be needed to watch video while moving, and you shouldn't have to mess with the Fakra inputs on the front monitor anymore...

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you have a late 2006, it's possible they already made the change... or it was a mistake in the factory. Those whacky Land Rover guys. For the units with that plug, I've never seen any 2006 with it used in North America.

Anyway... (Just being anal...) It's not a "S-Video" cable, and it's not technically a S-Video connector, since it's wired differently. 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. Well my RRS is a 2006 SC and it had the S-video "type" cable connected to the RSE module in the back and nothing connected to the FAKRA connectors on the Nav screen. So I don't know where the other end of that S-Video "type" cable goes to but I couldn't find it.

So I finally got it all working, here is what I basically did:

1. Bought the $500 CAN Bus filter from NavTV
2. Bought the $10 Terk SIR-SP splitter (in order to use the FAKRA connnector from it)
3. Soldered the FAKRA connector onto a female S-Video jacks appropriate pins.
4. Connected an S-Video cable from the RSE module in the back of the car to the Nav screen in the front of the car (using the adapter cable made in step #3)
5. Plug everything in and voila - my DVDs now play on the Nav screen while in motion!

Total cost about $550 plus 3 days of labor! It's actually pretty easy to do. Now having done it once, I could probably bang it out in 2-3 hours. Maybe I should open a shop. ;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
i have the can bus filter for dvd viewing in motion but i still have to install it. is it easy to do that?
where do u attach it to? i guess its somewhere behind the nav screen?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's pretty easy to install. You just need to hook it up to 12V power, ground and some wires at the back of the radio and add a toggle switch. I posted an image of the directions for the CAN Bus filter a few posts up in this thread.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
790 Posts
Just wanted to keep this thread updated.
I ordered the cable that seseese (that's a tough one to spell)
linked to above. It will be here today.
My brother's birthday is today so I don't know if I'll start on it
today, but definitely in the next couple days.
I have a small lcd tv that I'm going to use to test the video
out from the RSE box, first. It seems we have conflicting results
between seseese and doctorpatel:

Either way, I'll find out what works and what doesn't. If the svideo
connector on the cable needs to be modified then I'll do that, hopefully it
won't.
Because people still look these threads up - like I just did - to glean info regarding what is possible and what isn't with L320 infotainment connectivity, I wanted to update this question posed by ryanoz many years ago, because this is exactly where I am right this second. I want to find out for myself if the S-VID out on the RSES puts out proper video to the NAV screen without soldering. It is possible that the conflict identified with seseese's suggestion and doctorpatel's test is due to the fact that it isn't the RSES which puts out an 'altered' S-VID signal, but that the FAKRA connector in the NAV screen transposes the signal from the pins, thus necessitating an alteration of a normal S-VID signal to work with the screen's FAKRA.

To find out, I'm ordering a S-VID-->composite (RCA) adapter, to plug right into the FAKRA-->RCA adapter without splicing modification. I won't know until Tuesday, but I'll post it here. At the moment (see pic below), I have a long S-VID cable plugged into the RSES. The panel covering that area is fairly easy to remove.

I'm doing several upgrades simultaneously: since my 2006 (which I still have, and cannot bear to sell :D) didn't come with the cable to enable front screen DVD viewing, I'm adding it, while I have the center console (and a lot else) dismantled. I'm adding:

1. RSES video capability to the front screen (GREEN FAKRA);

2. 360˚ camera view system with a multiplexer & remote;

3. TPMS module which will send tire pressure graphics/alerts w/built-in GUI to the NAV screen (BROWN FAKRA)

I have 2 FAKRA-->RCA adapters plugged into the rear of the NAV screen already. BROWN FAKRA video signals override anything displayed on the NAV screen (video or NAV) if enabled in the CCf via IIDTOOL (default setting from factory is DISABLED). By wiring the 4 camera multiplexer into the TPMS module (which is meant to be put in series with a rear cam input regardless - see pic below), I can also activate the BROWN FAKRA input manually by requesting a camera view, or TPMS info. For the manual control of the TPMS module, I am going to attempt to make use of the blank button location in the hazard button panel located above the radio. To do this, I bought a sacrificial button panel on eBay for $14, so I can pirate an extra button to replace the dummy (pulled in the pic below), to which I'm going to attempt to apply what would normally be a repair decal: TPMS symbol.

https://ibb.co/kqJyQS

So far, I have the rear and side cams installed:

https://ibb.co/e0OUzn
https://ibb.co/mCi7kS
https://ibb.co/cTZDQS
https://ibb.co/d1zf5S
https://ibb.co/gb4DQS

The only downsize to the location of the rear cam is that the upper glass release is just above it. It's not an issue for me, only because my remote's third button is configured to open that glass - and I can still manually release it; the camera doesn't fully block access. The best way to route the wiring into the cabin is along the right trim of the tailgate, and through the rubber wiring loom guide all the way to the right, and it has the most room. The side cams are best installed in the plastic cover (which snaps off with a little convincing) which conceals the mirror hinge; there's a decent amount of room in there. I initially disassembled the passenger mirror to see if there was room within the mirror itself - and it would be possible, but it would be tight. It is necessary to drill through the aluminum pot metal mirror bracket (my passenger side was heavily corroded; I took the opportunity to clean as much out as I could, and put on a protective corrosion coating), as running the cables from the camera through the existing wiring route proved too tight.

These are the two key components being added:

https://ibb.co/hkJRC7

·
LEGACY VENDOR
790 Posts
Micro-soldering surgery done on the DSC/Parking sensor/Hazard PC board to enable the TPMS button. Took a button/LED/resistor off sacrificial board and added to the missing spots all the way to the left:

170A6EB3-DEDB-404F-8949-FB48B3F32EAA.jpg

·
LEGACY VENDOR
790 Posts
Just an update to ryanoz' post about the seseese/doctorpatel cable in question.

I bought an adapter cable (S-VID->composite), and tested the continuity. In the adapter, pin 4 connects to the inside of the RCA; both pins 1 & 2 connect to the outside. Pin 3 is dead.

When I ran it to the front screen, it displayed just fine - but I haven't tried the ryanoz re-wired version.

But: there seems to be a problem, and I hope I didn't cause it. I load DVD's into my changer, and all I can get my screen(s) to display is the 'checking' message on the top left. Nothing else happens.

It appears as though my DVD changer is frozen/malfunctioning. It is possible, though, that the REASON it is is because I have so much disconnected (the main thing may be the RSES AV1/AV2 panel) and it's getting confused. I really hope. None of the DVDs will play at the moment, so I'll reconnect some things to see if I can trigger my player to play.

Otherwise I'm in trouble.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2013 with the nav and my TV . The my TV seems to use either DVD or usb. Is this the usb in the arm rest? I am attempting to somehow screen share my phone either thorough that or some other means. Is there just a video input in the back?

81 - 95 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
12 Participants
p1zaul
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing