RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any owners with Ebony interior could comment on how it fared during the hotter Summer days. My wife is reluctant to go with a black interior given how hot it can get down here in Atlanta during the Summer. I was wondering if the "Optikool™ privacy glass" helped to prevent the seating surfaces from getting too hot while the vehicle is off and exposed to the sun.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have a Zambezi Silver w/Ebony interior here in Birmingham, AL. Have had it since the beginning of July. Put 3 kids (2 older & a one in a carseat) in the rear seat almos everyday. Only remember 1 time a complaint about a hot seat. The A/C cools quickly so usually by the time I start the engine and get the baby in the car seat and everyone is in, it is no longer very hot.

We did lightly tint the front driver and passenger windows about 6 weeks ago-just enough to take the edge off the sun glaring through the windows when driving - helps significantly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the follow-up and Alabama certainly qualifies as a place that gets hot in the Summer. If we go that route, I may inquire with the dealer to doing some light tinting up front as well. I'll have to check the state law on that first though.

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
385 Posts
Jeff,
State law here in KS says that you can only have a 35% tint on the front two windows. But, the 20%, (which is darker of course), far better matches the colour of the rear factory tint, and does a better job of reducing the sun's effects. The % quoted btw refers to the amount of 'light' transmitted. I have been using the 20% on my cars for many years and have never had a problem with the local constabulary, even when being presented with a ticket for spirited driving, LOL. When I lived in the south, TN, I saw many cars with very dark front window tinting, so I don't think you'd have a problem going with something other than a 'light tint'.
Bish

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Jeff, I live in Southern California and hot leather seat surfaces have not been much of an issue for me - regardless of their color - ever since I stopped buying black cars (which I otherwise love) and started getting light colored ones, such as silver or white. Big difference. The only thing that got uncomfortably hot in my ebony interior Sport during August / September was the steering wheel...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Husband put a darker tint, to match the rear windows, on his X5 and it was difficult to see out the windows at night - had it removed and replace with a lighter tint. We didn't go that dark on the RRS because we thought the same thing would happen and I would rather be able to see at night and just turn the A/C a little cooler if necessary. As far as the way the RRS looks, you can't tell much of a difference because the inside of the vehicle is not that bright.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are some great responses and really help. Since realizing that we will probably go with the RRS over the RR because of the lower height, I was looking at what configuration we'd get. My wife's preference is charcoal but in the absence of that as a choice, she was concerned about black being too hot. She had said perhaps Aspen, but that limits the exterior color choices. Beyond that, I'm thinking about going Supercharged where Aspen interior isn't an option at all.

Given what I've read here, it sounds like black will be ok and we can just have the fronts tinted a bit.

Thanks again.

Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey I think I qualify.

I live in florida and similar to LA I have tinted the front windows to match the privacy glass on the rear windows. My ebony Int has been a bit warm at times, but never HOT. I do however try to park with my rear end to the sun,if I know it will be sitting in the sun for a significant ammount of time. Just keep the beast garaged when you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts