RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble finding the root of this clunk... All I could see was huge play in the tie rod ends, so those got replaced... It still clunks at slow speed, there is almost no play in the lower ball joints, but it's hard to tell. Anything else I should check before I shotgun the issue with new lowers?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
599 Posts
I had the same problem and took a similar approach. When the problem persisted, I ended up taking this to the dealer and the replaced the driver's side front axle. It corrected the problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
New lowers on mine both side sorted it.

Had the stealer sort it as I had an advisory on the MOT and it then suddenly sounded worse and worse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took mine to the dealer and they replaced the sway bar connects. It has solved the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My garage changed pretty much everything on the LHS front suspension but to no avail. Car still making clunking noises when turning into a corner having loaded up the front whilst trail braking into a corner. I finally spent 15 mins with the garage under the RR inspecting all bolts for sign of movement. Small mirror above the mount for the front anti roll bar (sway bar) revealed what looked like a fine gap between one of the nuts and the surrounding grease. Guess what? 13mm spanner on each nut found that they were loose and once tightened, job done. Total cost of actual fix £0. Cost of replacing suspension arms £300. At least the clunk has gone.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the garage ended up changing out a bunch of parts, just picked it up, clunk is still there stronger than ever...

Per the advice above I took a close look at the sway bar links, they had some serious play. I tightened them down and the clunking virtually stopped... Still a bit of clunk but I'm sure that has to do with them being in need of replacement, I'll probably do that myself, looks easy enough.

thanks guys

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
47 Posts
[h=2]Re: Front end clunking[/h]
I have a 2010 full size RR S/C that is starting to make the "clunk." I originally posted this over on the RRS L320 forum because there were more threads related to this. Is this particular type of "clunk" just related to the RRS S/C? On my RR S/C the "clunk" is infrequent and occurs when driving slowly and making a sharp turn....similiar to what occurs while parking the car. In addition, I've noticed that the steering wheel gets difficult to turn shortly thereafter. Almost, like the power steering is not operational. Is there any relation? The clunk and difficult steering issue are not reproducible. This has occured on 3-4 separate occasions over the past 2-3 months. The vehicle has 38K on the odo. No other issues are noted while driving. Frankly, it drives and rides great. Other threads have mentioned sway bars issues causing the clunk in the full size RR and the thread on the RRS L320 forum has discussed the Dynamic response as being the issue with the RRS S/C. Any suggestions/opinions etc.... Thank you in advance for your reply.​

1 - 10 of 10 Posts