RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All,
The P38 is finally starting to come together as a daily driver :shock:. Now I'm in the fine tuning mode. The fuel injecters seem very noisy and likely need replacing:?: Valve train sounds a little sloppy. So, a oil pump rebuild and rocker cover removal / inspection is likely in order?

More concerning to the TING-TING-TING-TING from the bell housing area. I'm assuming it is the flex plate? :sad:

When in drive rolling down the road the noise is consistent with rpm. When I switch to nuetral and rev TING-TING-TING-TING goes away :shock:. Thor has a recent filter and fluid change and has 125k on him.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Flushed the trans by opening up cooler line and replacing recent Castrol fluid with Mercon SP ($6 a quart at O'reilys):thumb:. WOW, what a difference using the right fluid makes. Much smoother shifts, quiter operation and fuel economy. Smells like like cutting fluid. Definitely has some unusual additives. Thanks to some posts on a Audi forum I realized the castrol fluid was suspect. Dumped some rislon in crankcase to see if lifters repond. I will likely have to pop the valve covers of next weekend and try to fit a oil pressure gauge.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Video please!

Scotty

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,064 Posts
Lifter noise!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts