RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys

i have a 2003 range rover hse 75,000 miles on it . i have notice this weer sound on my truck wild is on park
sound like its going to shutdown but on a relly light sound. the lights inside the truck dim just a little .

sounds like this
brumm (2 secound pause ),brumm (2 secound pause ),brumm (2 secound pause ),brumm (2 secound pause ),brumm

i put a new alternator last year so i dont think its that or maybe , ?

i turn the truck on then i disconected the battry wild the drunk is running and the sound gets louder but the truck dosent die ?

i tested the voltage with out the battery and it goes from 12.2 to13.2 to 14.2 then gos back to 12. to 13 to 14 and so on with the redium of the sound.

with the battery on it arond 13.6v

what could it be the battery ? the alternator ?
hope you guys can help . ( any ideas will help)

sorry for my bad english its my second language . and thanks in advance .

its it safe to drive like that ? im kinda scare its going to die on me .

·
Registered
238 Posts
MOST LIKELY THE TENSION REGULATOR IS FAULTY but what worries me is you have disconnected the battery with the ignition on, even worse with engine running; this is deadly!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You disconnected the battery while the engine was running? :shock:

Wow, please do not ever try that again. Very dangerous... it may only be 12 volts but it can produce hundreds of amps. Not only that, but you could have fried every electrical component in your vehicle. The battery absorbs voltage spikes from the alternator and electrical system. Please do not attempt to work on vehicles if you don't have enough expertise to at least know what you don't know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello guys,
I'm totaly new on this forum, I'll introduce my self in an other post soon...

An idea about these Bruuuummmm, could they come from the compressors for the air suspension ? Compressors need energy then your voltage can decrease when it run ?
On my Truck, a 2004 4.4, I can hear that kind of sound at the rear of the car

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Well, to me it sounds like he is describing the engine almost stalling and then revving up repeatedly. Possible causes may be vacuum leaks, catalytic converter, improper fuel pressure, ignition system, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YES engine almost stalling and then revving up repeatedly thats about it but it dose it pretty light not loud . yes in the engine .

i change 3 months ago (range rover dealer ) all hoses breeder houses to and valley pan and gasket and water pump thermosta too . alot of pipes whare change mostly from the back of the engine do to milage .

I relly dont want to take it to the dealer they charge me 130 for the visit plus 115 just for checking electronics( they say engine and electronics is 2 different things so they have to have 2 mecanics to dynostic it one for engine and one for eletrical kinda . here in chicago. il . so relly dont want to go and spend 250 for nothing yous feel me.

thanks alots guys relly thanks keeep trowin me ideas please . times are ruff to spend 250 .

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
........ are you sure it's not just the AC compressor clutch engaging and disengaging? this will cause a slight dip in revs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^^ how can i test or know if its that because i never hurt that noise before on my truck. all i remember after i did the vacumme hose . the truck was relly quite it .so now this is is new.

thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I doubt it would be the AC compressor, but you could easily just turn off the AC... then it won't run, and you can see if it has any effect. If you don't have money to take the truck to a professional, I'd advise you just park the truck until you can (even if the engine doesn't stall it probably isn't good for it to drive that way for an extended period of time), or perhaps see if a friend who is more mechanically inclined would be willing to help you out. I don't want you to hurt yourself or end up with more problems than you started with.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If this problem started after the dealer worked on the car, take it back to them. They should at least check it out free of charge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chicago and Orland Land rover dealer are the worst ever . they try to charge me 50 bucks for intalling windshild wipers . im like i just paid 40 bucks for them here at your ownd part store and you going to charge me more to install them ? is just a click on thing?????? .. they ware like sorry you can try install them your self in the parking lot if you like. im like asshoe.

. il leave it park here intill i get some one money .

btw last week i took it for a speed sensor replacement and they charge me 800 dollars NO LIE. i was like WTf? thats why i hate takeing my truck there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts