RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i know i've posted a lot of stupid stuff here, and dumb questions... but i may be done. My 89 range rover 3.9 has water in the oil again, and i just re-did my heads. I think it's actually alot worse now. I just emptied out my oil pan and 85% of what came out was milky mayonnaise. I for the life of me can't understand what's wrong with the rover - someone in another one of my threads said he believed my motor to be "knackered" but i don't really know how it could've gotten that way. Would someone please give me some advice on what i can look for to be my problem now? Any help is much appreciated... and also if the source of the problem is too large for me to fix, i'll either be parting out the rover, or just selling it outright- Thanks in advance guys!

Zach

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi sounds like a cracked head.You say you "did" the heads,does that mean new gaskets or new heads as well? If you only renewed gaskets you may not have noticed a hairline crack or warped head or something

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the heads into the machine shop and had them looked over, pressure tested and had the valve seals replaced - cleaned and planed. So they should be, and looked like brand new heads. I don't think it's a crack in the heads, but i could be mistaken. Thanks for your advice and input - i appreciate it.

Zach

·
Registered
543 Posts
Zulander.

Sounds like after the top end has been refurbished, did you do a compression test ? Typically any leaking head gaskets scenario is very real in the Land Rover V8 !

I think I recall some more suitable solutions from my memory last month & sometimes one just has to "let it go" instead of trying to flog a dog that's nearly dead.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I may be wrong, but having a cracked block (what's commonly wrongly refered to as a porous block) behind the piston liners is usually a hard worked 4.6 problem, but i've read about it happening on the 3.9 also. I'm wondering if the block is cracked behind one of the piston liners and letting water through from the jacket and it's dribbling / squirting down into the sump. I'm not sure how you'd test this theory.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you referring to the steel sleeves slipping out? Because when we had the heads off, i checked all that and didn't see anything that looked cracked, or slipped... I don't know what the problem is, i think i may just sell the Rover. If anyone's interested contact me, i'll post some pictures later this week sometime.

Zach

·
Registered
536 Posts
From what i've seen it's the alloy block behind the steel liners that cracks, and the water seeps down between the two. From what i've read it's a heat related problem that's most proliferant in the 4.6, as the alloy casting is thinner, and because they run at usually lower rpm and apparently thus leaner mixtures it creates more heat. Sometimes they will slip a liner when this happens, other times not.

Personally if the car were in good condition i'd be getting a short block and transfering all the bits over.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, i'd like to convert the Rover to a 350, but the conversion kits for it cost almost as much as i paid for the truck initially... i found this website that was pretty helpful as far as what i'd need to do it. http://www.mez.co.uk/chevyupgrade.html - i'd love to be able to do this to mine, but i'm more of a novice that anything when it comes to mechanics, so i've not got the confidence in attempting this swap myself. Thanks for the trouble-shooting though Benji, i appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts