RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know the V8 rover is a bit thirsty but mine is drinking coolant as well after, an apparently unsuccessful, engine rebuild!
I've skimmed and tested the heads, all new gaskets, new water pump, new stat, coolant cap AND still it loses water but I think it must be leaking internally as I can't find any signs of loss.
The exhaust does seem a bit steamy as she warms up but clears when up to temp. The engine seems to run and idle OK but I'm not sure if i'm hearing a mis fire. Can these engines injest and "burn" water? If so, where could it be leaking? Could I have mis fitted the inlet manifold gasket or the front cover gasket as the WSM might suggest? I do not appear to have any coolant mixing with the oil but I did find some condensation under the oil filler cap this week!
In desperation today I dumped in a bottle of K-seal to no avail. The coolant level seems to drop about 5-10 mm every 30-40 minutes of idling.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I haven't driven this car properly since May!!
Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
538 Posts
as you have gone to all that trouble it could well be an engine fault. these do tend to slip a liner or crack, usually on number 7. Have you removed the plug again to see if they are all the same colour? a compression test may show up something too.
i have has this and the plug looked as if it had been steam cleaned. Sorry no better news.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast responce!!
Yeh I pulled all the plugs today to look as you suggest for a "steam cleaned plug"
All mine were black and sooty(the lambda's have failed)but i'm not replacing them till I get to the bottom of the coolant loss.Just gave them a clean and refitted.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
At risk of scaring you into next week, the removal of the heater core hoses from the engine compartment often disturbs the years of crust sealing old Orings. You might double check to make sure your carpet is dry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestion!!
Done them when the engine was out!!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
If your carpets are dry and you aren't seeing puddles then I would think you have to be pushing it out the exhaust. :cry:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh I agree!
But hows it getting there,and why does the engine seem to be running so well? Maybe i'm deluding myself.I really am at a lost end!!

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Maybe you're not actually losing water...maybe you just had a big airlock and the water you're putting in is just replacing the space once filled by air?

How much water have you added? And how much do you generally need to add per tank of gas?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Maybe you're not actually losing water...maybe you just had a big airlock and the water you're putting in is just replacing the space once filled by air?
Thats what I would suspect too. If you are loosing that much coolant and none of the cylinders are steam cleaned, you cant see any visible leaks, and your oil isn't full of coolant. Its probably just excessive air in the system. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kmagnuss said:
how much do you generally need to add per tank of gas?
FIll it up with Gas? you must be joking!!! That frightens me to death at $200 per tank!!
In seriousness we've only managed about 250 miles since the rebuild and its boiled over about 3 times,fortunately when I've been driving and I've turned off the engine immediately!!
The wife drove it back from ours friends house which is about 6 miles away and she'd lost about an inch!
It almost seems it "drinks" its own coolant till theres insuficiant left to do the job then boils over
For now I'll go with the air theory,because thats little work and no money!

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bit of an update!!
The better half took the money pit into town today to get some baguettes from the boulongerie, a trip of some 9 miles round trip,and yep you guessed it I got the phone call!!
Good news is the wife watches the temp gauge like a hawk and shut her down when the gauge was at 1 o clock;
Went and rescued her and got it home and decieded to set about the engine once it had cooled down.
I pulled the spark plugs and found no 3 was wet on the electrode tip, did a compression test as suggested earlier which showed about 200 psi per pot but no 3 was violent with its compression. as the engine was turning over some liquid was spattering out which I assume was water. Next thing I know, after telling the wife I was going to be 5 mins, I decided to take the inlet manifold off and also the cylinder head.
The piston crown of no 3 pot was half clean and the cylinder head intake port is nice and shiny as well. The back of the inlet valve is soaking wet. There was also some evidence of copper filings from the K-seal I chucked in yesterday.
So I'm thinking now the head is cracked???? What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bugger.

Sounds like it's time to pull the donk out now and replace it with another engine to save mucking around with a 'baked lemon' !

Think of the possibilities - Aston Martin 5.3ltr V8 - Audi 4.2ltr V8 - JE Engineering 4.8ltr Big bore kit - BMW 4.0ltr V8 mule ? ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vinniman said:
Think of the possibilities - Aston Martin 5.3ltr V8 - Audi 4.2ltr V8 - JE Engineering 4.8ltr Big bore kit - BMW 4.0ltr V8 mule ? ?
Nice thought Viniman but if this can't be sorted for under a few hundred quid she will be broken down and fragged!! RIP :crybaby2:
We're at the end the road with it now and the Ford Galaxy arrives tomorrow!!
Regards
Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts