RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm new to the forum and I've actually joined so I could get some helpful insight on whether I should purchase a 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, fully loaded with 67 000 KM. The asking price for the car is 41 000 CAD$ with all dealership servicing records.

When it came to finding out more about this car, I figured who better to ask then actually owners! Here are some of my questions:

1) how much does it cost to fill the tank and what kind of mileage can I get on a full tank? (I am aware it is a gas guzzler)

2) I plan to drive the car for a few years to come, are there any general problems that occur often with these vehicles overall i.e engine,body,suspension,electrical?

3) I am aware parts and servicing is very expensive considering the parts have to be shipped over seas, is there alternatives to save money?

4) If I properly maintain my car how long could my last?

Thanks guys, I really look forward to your guys feedback and helpful knowledge. With your guidance I may become apart of the club! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
270 Posts
1 - If you have to ask how much it cost to fill the tank then this truck is not for you. Please consult a Medical professional before filling your tank. Same with question #3. I figure I would beat Goosey to the punch.

Seriously though I think on a fully empty tank (29 miles left on the range read out) It cost me $56 at $2.70 per gallon. Some cities have independent LR shops that may be cheaper, but Hi think you have to take it to an actual dealer if you have a warranty related issue.

I have heard that when it comes to RRS's, if you get a good one it will last forever with just the standard maintenance. If you get a bad one, your truck will be in the shop more than its on the road.

Good luck and upload some pics if you purchase.

·
Registered
61 Posts
kstatenupe summed it up pretty nicely, if your worried about how much its going to cost to fill the gas tank then this type of vehicle is not for you. The maintenance is pricey too unless you have the extended warranty or your dealership offers free service with a purchase of a vehicle. I have yet to have a problem with my 06 but i know of people who cant catch a break with there's and are in the shop quite often. Ask for all the service records and take it for a nice long test drive and if its still running and no codes come up then you might be ok :D

Good luck in your pursuit of a sport, and I can honestly say this is the best vehicle i have owned or been in period

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well put by those responses. Based on gas prices in Southern California, it's cost me anywhere from $50 to $115 dollars to fill up my tank.
I've had minimal issues with my sport and if you choose to get one, I think you'll find it's one of the most gratifying cars you'll own.
My dealer does lifetime oil changes and I got the extended warranty. Definitely look into that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
where are you in Canada, just out of curiosity. I have an 06 RRS HSE and i love it. i had an 04 FFRR and it was always in the shop. this one, almost one year and standard stuff only. Seriously look into getting it CPO'd. the extra coverage is great and worth it.

good luck. what color, or in canadian, what colour?
LP

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LP's HSE said:
where are you in Canada, just out of curiosity. I have an 06 RRS HSE and i love it. i had an 04 FFRR and it was always in the shop. this one, almost one year and standard stuff only. Seriously look into getting it CPO'd. the extra coverage is great and worth it.

good luck. what color, or in canadian, what colour?
LP
Hey,
I live in Toronto, Ontario. What does CPO'd mean? the car I am considering purchasing is black on black, lol thanks guys for the input. In terms of gas price, I am aware that it is an expensive car to maintain it was just something I wanted to consider before I committed myself too. Some of you mentioned its hit or miss whether you get a good RR or a bad one? lol it doesn't seem as if the quality is consistent?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
CPO: Certified Pre-Owned. It's a Land Rover, you don't buy it because of its fuel economy, low cost of ownership or renowned reliability. I absolutely love my RRS, I go everywhere with her, enjoy every minute of it, and would buy myself another one in a second (I will, just as soon as my 2006 starts begging me for mercy.) But, as daily transportation for my wife, young daughter and incoming babies I steered clear of Land Rover and got an Acura SUV instead. I want peace in the family. :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
kstatenupe said:
1 - If you have to ask how much it cost to fill the tank then this truck is not for you. Please consult a Medical professional before filling your tank. Same with question #3. I figure I would beat Goosey to the punch.
Nupe, I've given up on these types of posts because there are three categories, and only one category can be answered.

1st type (this one falls in that category). Q: "Can I afford this car?" A: How would anyone here know?

2nd type(usually from SoCal or one of the 5 boroughs of NYC): Q: "I'm trying to decide between (a high $$ foreign 2 seat sports car) and the RRS, which would you buy? A: Once you get beyond the significant added utility gained by not walking or taking the bus through the purchase of a Hyundai or used Honda Civic, every other more expensive vehicle becomes an emotional decision. Again, without knowing your emotional profile and what you are trying to overcompensate for, how can we know?

3rd type, Q: "Dealer quoted me a $1700 a month lease for 72 months on a new RRS, am I better of buying it for $55K or doing the lease?" A: This can be answered, as it involves math skills and the use of a calculator that the poster doesn't have.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
TripleE said:
umbertob said:
and got an Acura SUV instead.
Phew, I thought you got that Buick! :wink: Pics?
3E, you really wanna see a picture of Umberto's Acura?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Yeah, I'm not proud of it either... My wife still can't believe she had to give up her BMW convertible for this "thing"! :lol: But among the crossover crowd the MDX has everything we wanted and needed, and the Tech Package with Rear Entertainment version is so loaded with gizmos it makes me salivate in envy.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
TripleE said:
umbertob said:
and got an Acura SUV instead.
Phew, I thought you got that Buick! :wink: Pics?
3E, you really wanna see a picture of Umberto's Acura?
Yeah mang! I like new cars, just fun to get/see. I wouldn't have asked for pics if he got the Buick. :naughty:

umbertob said:
My wife still can't believe she had to give up her BMW convertible for this "thing"!
Blasphemy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A few of you mentioned that you could get a good or bad RRS, its pretty much a gamble then. If RRS are supposed to be high quality cars then why is there such an inconsistency? what are the typical over all problems that RRS have?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
freshtodeath said:
If RRS are supposed to be high quality cars
Not sure where you got that from. :wink: Of course there will be a few "bad" ones out there as with any manufacturer, but honestly, it's just one of those things; I'm sure you've heard of people saying "it will spend more time in the shop than on (off) the road". Sure it has some truth to it, but why do you think there are so many loyal Rover owners? Can't explain it, you either have it or you don't. Unfortunately, you probably won't know until after you buy one. :thumb:

·
Registered
126 Posts
freshtodeath said:
what are the typical over all problems that RRS have?

There are 86 pages in the RRS section of this forum ... I would venture to say you will find plenty of typical problems discussed to death if you scan through even 5 pages worth..

I have had my share and this is my first RR but I really cant imagine not owning one again now that I have had it for a while...

For all the problems these cars may or may not have ... there are not a lot of posts of people selling them out of frustration.

And just to be fair, go look at the clublexus.com website under 3rd Gen (the newest model) and you will see that no matter what car you buy they all have their fair share of issues.

Lexus has the rep of being an extremely reliable car but I have the same quirks and gremlins with that one as well ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
freshtodeath said:
A few of you mentioned that you could get a good or bad RRS, its pretty much a gamble then. If RRS are supposed to be high quality cars then why is there such an inconsistency? what are the typical over all problems that RRS have?
I believe I am safe in saying the typical issues you may have with your RRS are front
end Knock noises and clicking noises. However, like with any vehicle, once the dealer
corrects that issue, you will be fine.

Buy one and enjoy it. Nothing else compares (except for a Porsche 911). :dance:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At Law said:
I believe I am safe in saying the typical issues you may have with your RRS are front
end Knock noises and clicking noises. However, like with any vehicle, once the dealer
corrects that issue, you will be fine.
I've noticed I hear a clicking/knocking noise when I make turns, any idea what this is? does my warranty cover this problem?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts