RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Thinking about buying a 2010-'12 LR full size (not sport) because those model years offer more powerful engines vs previous years models.

Any reason not to buy '10 and go with '11 or '12 model year, specifically due to any issues fixed or upgrades in '11 vs '10, any known issues etc?

Is SC worth it? is gas mileage really that much worse with SC vs non?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thx,
Jon

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
thinking of buying a RR '10 vs '11 & 12 and HSE vs SC

There’s quite a few threads of issues of the 5.0 engines including timing chain guide issues, water pump, and plastic water lines. There’s a great search tool here, and very easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: thinking of buying a RR '10 vs '11 & 12 and HSE vs SC

thanks for the information. Not knowing what to search for I was at a loss. Now I do see the timing chain guide issues and some water pump issues.

Looks like the timing chain guide issue wasn't fixed till the '13 model year, though are there any notable fixes/upgrades in the '11 or '12 vs '10. Read on wikipiedia that the '11 has an improved 4x4 system. Anything else?

·
Registered
10 Posts

I bought a 2010 with 94k miles back in September. It had a lot of maintenance history, came on brand-new Michelin tires and had new brakes - all of which at least indicated it had been cared for. I'm not scared of higher-mileage "luxury" cars, they're all just cars and require maintenance. The timing chain thing is allegedly restricted to a VIN range but covers 2010-2012 model years. VIN range is AA306630 to CA393639 and there is a TSB issued for it: LTB00474NAS3.

Mine doesn't make any abnormal noises and has nearly 103k on it now. I'm going to see what I can find out about having the TSB performed though. It appears it was issued in 2015 and I'd love to have it covered if LR will warranty it.

Mine is supercharged and frankly, it's far faster than any 6,000 lb SUV should be. I wasn't planning on buying the supercharged model but found one in the color combo I preferred, and more power is never a bad thing, right? It will bark all four tires from a roll in first gear if you really lay into it. That said, beyond stupid shenanigans, the supercharger does really help with power delivery when I am towing. I tow a racecar and love how the engine has such a flat torque curve - it makes 461 ft-lb from something like 2500 rpm to 5000 rpm. It'll shift gears under acceleration and not fall off the power at all, which is just killer.

Gas mileage sucks on all of them, they weigh nearly 6k lbs without anyone in the truck. I can do 13 mpg towing an open trailer, 19ish highway with nothing attached, and pure city driving around DC nets 11-12.

The air suspension seems predictable and reliable enough. Remember that the airbags are technically "wear items" so you may have to replace them. Mine are all original, I think, and doing okay for now. I suspect the shocks themselves are getting tired and will plan to replace them (the bag/strut are one unit) eventually.

Transmission between all of the 5.0 trucks is a ZF 6-speed and not known for huge failure. It's shared with many BMWs, among other vehicles. 6HP26, I think?

Biggest thing with the drivetrain and 4x4 system is to check if you have a locking rear differential. I believe all of the S/C trucks got it based on something I read a while ago. Easiest way to tell is to put the Terrain Response knob in the first "off road" setting for snow/mud and watch the gauge cluster. It'll show you the drivetrain "outline" and icons will change as the truck locks/unlocks the center diff and rear diff, if equipped:

I did not think I'd really "love" this truck as much as I do - it's a very good all-around vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Great, thanks! What color combo did you get?

yah, getting maintenance records for any RR before buying is always a sticking point to determine what exactly was replaced and if the TSB was resolved.

How long do the supercharges typically last on the 2010-2012 range rover series? Just found a SC one myself with 70k and thinking of springing for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts