RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No problems for months, parked this morning, 5 min later return to the car and it won't start. Just a single click like it's low on power... I jump start it, fine for the ride home, but as I pull into my driveway the battery light is flashing.

Put a meter on the battery while the car is running, 11.xx

Shut it off, will not restart.

Any simple things to check before I pull the fan etc to get at the alt? The battery is 6 months old, and I'd expect to see 14.xx when running, just doesn't seem like the alt is juicing. We've had massive rain here, seems suspect this would happen out of the blue when the battery light has never flashed before...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so I traced the wire that leaves the alternator to the back of the engine just above the heater core RR 4.4 USA

A wire from the alternator joins the wires coming from the battery at a coupler bolted to the top of the engine towards the back (you need to remove the plastic engine cover to get full view. One was loose so I pulled them all off, electrical cleaner, put it all back together and now I'm getting 13.75-14.20 at the battery when the car is running.

I searched the board and saw nothing about this battery/alternator junction box, but I did find some threads where people have replaced their alt and it keeps appearing to fail... Maybe you should check this little voltage junction box...

very strange

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
umbertob said:
Nice catch Brad! :thumb: Now take everything apart again and snap some photos for the forum. :twisted:
I just went outside to snap the only one you need. `)

You can see the positive wires (red) joining at a little box here... If I'm looking at this right (its pouring out so I can take the air cleaner out to get a closer look) The wire outside the battery box, the one used for jumping, that's the connectivity the alternator uses to energize the battery. That red wire was loose from the pictured coupler on the back side of the engine. It's held in by a single 13mm bolt.

I unhooked the battery as to not get electrocuted, took the 13mm off and the jumping wire (outside of battery box) was near dangling from this coupler. All cleaned and fit back in correctly the range is back up to full strength.

Nice bullet dodge there `)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts