RangeRovers.net Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have posted before about issues and thank you for your guidence. For those of you who never saw the other posts, i bought an 05 HSE and had it a week or 2 then had the " cattle gate" thing. Turned out to be the torque converter. after months of trying to figure out what the sound was. I ordered a new one and before it could come in the tranny slipped, went into safe mode, and $3000 later replaced it all. Then about 200 miles later ( just last week) it alerted me to water temp. I pulled over to find the water pump had aparently locked up. Towed it home and this time tackled the job myself ( there wasnt much in the way of how to's for the 05 water pump replacement) so $300 bucks for parts and (2) half days of work its running again but It appears to have a pretty significant oils leak on the passenger side..... along with oil all over the oil filter thing...which as you know is on the opposite side , smh... ( all of that actually happened along with the water pump disaster) I just really didnt notice the oil with everything covered in coolant. I had to leave for work and have been gone for a week researching how to refill with coolant. I plan on actually having on the road , obviously still with an oil leak until another day off and hours researching where it is.

This has been my daily driver until all of theses issues started popping up. I love the RR and i love tinkering with cars ( trannys and water pumps arent tinkering to me) the turn signal actually falling off of while I was driving down the road and ripping wires in 2 , replaceing that is tinkering... and costly. Im thinking of selling this thing. I am looking at a 15 model RR but I dont want to buy it and have the same or worse issues....

all of this to ask... what kind of issue does the 15's throw at you? had i known the life expectancy of an 05 model's torque converter was 150k .... I probably wouldnt own this one. What should I beware of with a 15 model before I buy one?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have 2005 also.bought with 121,000 miles .I replaced the valley pan, coolant tank, trans cooler , cam cover gaskets, powder coated cam covers, tcm, trans fluid a and filter 3 or 4 times, torque converter, o2 sensors, spark plugs, pcv valve, drivers side front air bag and strut, drivers inner and outer tie rod, transfer case oil and differential oil, alternator, tension pulley. drivers side cv axle, not to mention tires from hitting potholes on 24 inch wheels. I now have 162,000 miles and currently need passenger side front bag and strut, steering angle sensor and most likely a transmission rebuild or replace. just to think I'm about to throw in the towel for a newer myself or keep and wait for the next line of problems. I did all the work myself except for the alternator cause it went out just before a x mas road trip so i had to pay a shop. I learned a lot about this truck while spending a lot of cash but saving in labor. That is a lot of work for 40,000 miles any vehicle should need done to keep on the road its baffling ,frustrating and enjoyable if you sum it all up. but geeesh Land Rover!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, I thought I had sunk a lot of money into mine... That answers one of my questions, should I keep it and tinker with it. Meanwhile I would like to know if the 15 are giving alot of expensive problems.. any vehicle is going to break from time to time, I know but I'm really hoping to find something that I can drive for a few years while doing routine stuff to it and not major stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I can’t speak for a 2015 truck but my parents have a 2014 3.0 HSE. It’s been super reliable with only basic maintenance and something with the wheel tire pressure sensor. No rattles, I redid the interior trim pieces to black trim.

My 2017 3.0 HSE has been immaculate besides a few software updates which was annoying but I’m glad I have the new infotainment as it’s miles better than the older type.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
LMAO.... so your 13 year old rig is having issues. Being a BMW first gen L322 it is to be expected. If you want to know about the new gen 2015, read the 494 forum. The 494 folks are not going to come to the L322 forum to answer questions about their newer models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.