RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw an amazing matte black FF this evening and gave me the idea to perhaps satin matte wrap the RRS.
I just picked up Yulong White with black roof.
Not trying to change the color - just something like Xpel Stealth or whatever the board thinks is best.
wdyt? Would it look good?

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
The shop that did the xpel wrap on my RR gave me a MB ML loaner that they have wrapped in a matte black. I told the kids I was driving Darth Vader! Joking aside, I thought it looked hideous ... like you had primed the car and didn't finish the paint job. I haven't seen one matte car that looked good, even if it was a factory finish ... cars just aren't supposed to be dull/matte.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,150 Posts
There's an old thread where somebody on the forum had a white ATB that they did a white matte wrap on. Looked sharp but he ended up posting it for sale in eBay.

I think it's an interesting look but depends on the color and execution. xpel may be the way to go especially if they don't have to remove all the body panels like they do with vinyl wrapping.

·
Registered
124 Posts
BMW and MB have finally caught up the the trend on this. On some of their models, at least, their offerings that are close to Matte may give you better feedback than our individual opinions. What I sense from them is that they are closer to what you suggest: Satin. Not full-one Matte. Just doing an image search on this with various cars gives you some that look tragic. I just posted my car with a (partial) Matte hood. I like it, but others can (will) be judgmental about whatever you choose. Even on here.

I encourage looking at MB and BMW b/c along with Porsche and Audi never adopted the chrome rim trend when that was big. They had something close (more satin), but not full-on chrome from the factory as I recall it.

Long live the search-engine image search!

·
Registered
381 Posts
DO it.

Will look sick.

You can always go back to the original colour as well.

If you google image it, it is pretty popular among car enthusiasts. Go black wheels for the proper look.

lamborghini-aventador-matte-black1.jpg

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Like MDX mentioned above... hideous. I have never seen a matte/flat wrap that didn't look like some kid in high school couldn't afford paint.

However, with everything else it's a matter of personal taste just like fart can exhaust, oversized rims, loud thumping music, stick on chrome bits or flames painted down the sides. If you like it, do it and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Still hideous! ucla95 did ask for our opinion and obviously, from the reponses given, some like it and some hate it, but all that matters is if ucla95 LIKES the matte look ... he doesn't seem to LOVE the look and seems undecided about it, or he wouldn't have asked for our opinion!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yes, it is certainly up to him. You might not like the overall look, but it can definitely be done with style.

Most jobs that I've seen, particularly on Range Rovers, are just tasteless.

IMG_6278-copy.jpg

That being said, if you get these, nobody will be paying any attention to your wrap:

39-pack.jpg

hastapolonia.jpg

Remember, always be bossin' up.

IMG_6553-copy.jpg

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Most things like these are little more than fads. Monochroming came, went and came back again for a bit with the all black thing. Fortunately the white and red monochroming didn;t make a return. Chrome add ons came and thankfully went in a short time. Let's not forget that no car was complete without tri coloured stripes or lined tail lights. Fads come and go. With each one there are folks that love whatever it is and others wouldn't be caught dead with it. Like I said above, if you like it, do it and enjoy. However, in all reality, some fads have a VERY limited audience of appreciation. :lol:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't see the appeal in a flat black matte scheme, looks like a burnt up Hot Wheels car (I used to light mine on fire.)
Did you also smash your GI Joes into the wall until the rubber band holding their top and bottom halves broke, signaling their demise?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, if you're doing to jump onto a fad, at least make sure it's still a fad. I don't see the appeal in a flat black matte scheme, looks like a burnt up Hot Wheels car (I used to light mine on fire.)
Some trends can get dismissed as fads. Picking the cycles or timing is a form of gambling in nearly every endeavor. Dozens of auto examples come to mind that we are living through right now that some will think are fad, but will have staying power (and vis versa)

We may agree that even if the German manufactures still offer 'non-gloss' paint choices, they are more satin than matte to avoid the risk of the earlier comment of looking like primer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts