RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some new tires for the range today, went to pop the hood to check my coolant tank which you may remember exploded recently...

The hood latch cable broke and the cable itself has vanished up into the fender somewhere.

They fit the tires and called me, the tie rod ends are shot, anyone have a part number on those? Plus they couldn't do an alignment because the hood wouldn't open.

The rover has been clunking at low speed for months, I suspected the lower ball joints, but up on the lift the mechanic was telling me, "those are solid," but the tie rod ends are very loose... Will a lower ball joint even show play on a lift? Should I just replace them anyway?

Figures my range is perfect all spring and summer when the weather is nice enough to make my own repairs, but as soon as the temp drops everything breaks :evil:

Any info on tie rod end part numbers or any other advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Clunks is going to be the lower ball joints, I'd bet my hat on it.

D

·
Registered
867 Posts
Actually, its really weird that you posted this. I just replaced the sway bar, up front. I have a warranty, but it is around $400.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Clunks is going to be the lower ball joints, I'd bet my hat on it.

D
I'm thinking the same too, is there a way to check that? There should be zero play on it when lifted correct? I'm not sure how much play is acceptable. Based on what the mechanic said and the little I saw when lifted the tie rods are toast and dangerous to drive on... You can bang the ends around pretty easily...

So now before I start any of this I have to wait for roverparts to mail me the hood latch kit (did 2 day shipping), I honestly have no clue how I'm going to open the hood with the wire not visible. Depending on what I actually get from roverparts I may be able to cut the sheath to expose the wire if the kit I purchased includes the replacement.

Finally, I drove the rover home from the tire shop 255/55/19 Nokian AW G2s are the best **** all season I've ever purchased!!!! They're extremely quiet, the ride is ultra smooth, steering response was greatly improved, then it started snowing and the grip is seriously unmatched, IMO they're superior in ice/snow/slush then pirelli scorpion snow and ice, but the Nokians are smoother, no noise, and all season :thumb:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roverrad95 said:
Actually, its really weird that you posted this. I just replaced the sway bar, up front. I have a warranty, but it is around $400.
Yeah, I'm out of warranty, but that repair is about 40 min total and the parts are under $100... I actually like doing most of the work myself, but in foul weather I'll pay to have it done. lately I research the part, buy the best one, then pay a local shop to fit it. The land rover dealer is a complete rip off unless you're dealing with some specialized repair or under warranty of-course.

·
Registered
293 Posts
yah you can see play in a tie rod /ball joint just by pulling on the track rod or whatever is connected to it

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
brad s1 said:
[quote="Dan_UK_1984":262hgewi]Clunks is going to be the lower ball joints, I'd bet my hat on it.

D
I'm thinking the same too, is there a way to check that? There should be zero play on it when lifted correct? I'm not sure how much play is acceptable. Based on what the mechanic said and the little I saw when lifted the tie rods are toast and dangerous to drive on... You can bang the ends around pretty easily...

So now before I start any of this I have to wait for roverparts to mail me the hood latch kit (did 2 day shipping), I honestly have no clue how I'm going to open the hood with the wire not visible. Depending on what I actually get from roverparts I may be able to cut the sheath to expose the wire if the kit I purchased includes the replacement.

Finally, I drove the rover home from the tire shop 255/55/19 Nokian AW G2s are the best **** all season I've ever purchased!!!! They're extremely quiet, the ride is ultra smooth, steering response was greatly improved, then it started snowing and the grip is seriously unmatched, IMO they're superior in ice/snow/slush then pirelli scorpion snow and ice, but the Nokians are smoother, no noise, and all season :thumb:[/quote:262hgewi]

So would you recommend the Nokian AW G2s over the Vredestein Wintrac Extremes for ALL SEASON Range Rover use. I have just bought 19" 2010 Wheels and am looking for nice but good value 255/55 R19 Tyres as per my other thread?

·
Registered
748 Posts
rule number one, if you put four tires on and you got bad tie rod ends fix it quick.

otherwise you are screwing yourself and the money you paid.

go the alignment shop and have them install it. it might be seized anyway. Just order it a head of time with new nut. If its the lower ball joint you dont need an alignment but I have seen the same balljoint cause the cv boot to get pulled out.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gazellio said:
brad s1 said:
[quote="Dan_UK_1984":6quzqvr8]Clunks is going to be the lower ball joints, I'd bet my hat on it.

D

Finally, I drove the rover home from the tire shop 255/55/19 Nokian AW G2s are the best **** all season I've ever purchased!!!! They're extremely quiet, the ride is ultra smooth, steering response was greatly improved, then it started snowing and the grip is seriously unmatched, IMO they're superior in ice/snow/slush then pirelli scorpion snow and ice, but the Nokians are smoother, no noise, and all season :thumb:
So would you recommend the Nokian AW G2s over the Vredestein Wintrac Extremes for ALL SEASON Range Rover use. I have just bought 19" 2010 Wheels and am looking for nice but good value 255/55 R19 Tyres as per my other thread?[/quote:6quzqvr8]

I can't say anything about the wintrac, I've used BFG's, Pirellis, goodyears, and toyos on range rovers, the g2's seem in a class of their own thus far :thumb:

The boss said:
rule number one, if you put four tires on and you got bad tie rod ends fix it quick.

otherwise you are screwing yourself and the money you paid.

go the alignment shop and have them install it. it might be seized anyway. Just order it a head of time with new nut. If its the lower ball joint you dont need an alignment but I have seen the same balljoint cause the cv boot to get pulled out.
Good info, thanks... I'm just waiting for the rod ends to show up in the mail, then they're getting installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
£115 each? Where was that?

Are you planning to run them all year round? My Wrangler HPs are a bit worn which is not great in the current weather...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
JBaguley said:
£115 each? Where was that?

Are you planning to run them all year round? My Wrangler HPs are a bit worn which is not great in the current weather...
£115 each from Camskill.co.uk and yes I am planning to run as year round tyre. Most reviews/reports class this tyre as a year round 4X4 tyre even though it is Winter rated. Very pleased with performance so far but the roads have been mostly snow/slush/ice.

Tyremen.com:

The Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme is a high performance tyre that is suitable for 4 x 4 and SUV vehicles. The W-shaped tread pattern was designed by Italian stylists Giugiaro and has a striking appearance. The Wintrac 4 Xtreme has excellent on-road properties, but also features a number of important all-terrain characteristics. The tread compound and advanced construction offer great grip on wet roads and superb stability. The Wintrac 4 Xtreme provides a comfortable and quiet ride throughout its life span. We have found that are customers have found this life span to be vast, and it is not uncommon to hear that their Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme’s have done 3 or 4 times the mileage of other leading brand tyres.

Tyres Online

In 2004 Vredestein launched the Wintrac Xtreme, an ultra-high performance winter tyre, jointly developed with Giugiaro Design. Now Vredestein has introduced a new SUV winter tyre, the Wintrac 4 Xtreme, which is claimed to offer unprecedented levels of safety, design and comfort.

The Wintrac 4 Xtreme leverages Giugaro's innovative design work, the aggressive, taut lines of which provide the W-shaped tread with a powerful appearance. The tyre reflects the very latest developments in the luxury SUV segment, where priority is given to safety, design and comfort.

Designed for SUVs Popular Sport Utility Vehicles such as the BMW X3 and X5, Mercedes ML, Volvo XC90, Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne and the Volkswagen Touareg 1 all have off-road qualities. Nonetheless, when it comes to the use of these cars, it is increasingly the on-road aspect that is emphasised. Not only does the Wintrac 4 Xtreme have excellent on-road properties, but it also features a number of important all-terrain characteristics. For instance, the tread has good self-cleaning properties, resulting in an excellent performance on wintry and unpaved roads. The structure of the tyre has been designed so that it can easily support the heavy weight of the SUV in the most extreme circumstances.

Handling is optimal thanks to the special belt construction, the carefully composed tread compound and the rigid sidewall. The Wintrac 4 Xtreme also offers precise steering, an increasingly sought after feature of SUVs. The grooves have been toughened to withstand damage caused by pebbles and stones. All sizes of the Wintrac 4 Xtreme come equipped with a rim protector, which helps prevent alloy damage.

Safety

Safety is the primary concern of Vredestein's designers. Research has shown that the capacity of SUVs is often overestimated. Despite the weight of the car, they are expected to safely negotiate wet or snowy roads in wintry conditions due to the four-wheel drive. This expectation is, however, only justified if winter tyres have been fitted: Even SUVs are subject to the constraint that tyres are the only contact area between the car and the wet, snowy or icy road.

The good winter qualities of the Wintrac 4 Xtreme are guaranteed by the addition of Optimum Silica Processing™ (OSP™) to the tread compound, a technology that first proved itself in Wintrac 4 Xtreme tyres. OSP™ uses a new binding agent that makes the connections between the silica and rubber within the compound stronger and more numerous. The result is both an increased resistance to slip on wet roads - a short braking distance - and an all-round improvement of winter qualities.

The directional tread of the Wintrac 4 Xtreme also benefits from earlier experiences. The sharp W-tread designed by Giugiaro, with the lateral grooves arranged in opposite directions on the tread shoulders, was created for maximum grip on snow and ice. The central groove ensures efficient water dispersal and reduces the chances of aquaplaning. The straight sipes in the central section are perpendicular to the driving direction for better grip on snow, and the special zigzag-shaped sipes in the tread shoulders contribute to the excellent handling properties.

Comfort

The high position behind the steering wheel and the feeling of freedom that SUVs provide have made these cars enormously popular in just a few years. Good all-terrain properties and the powerful traction of the engines make SUVs equipped with Wintrac 4 Xtreme winter tyres as suitable for towing a horse box as for going skiing.

The unique Giugiaro design and the qualities of the tyre stand out in all circumstances. The designers of the Wintrac 4 Xtreme paid a great deal of attention to comfort, achieving not only a relaxed driving performance at high speeds, but also low noise levels, due to the fact that the tread blocks are not arranged in a straight line in relation to the circumferential grooves. Indentations in the groves allow their width to vary, preventing peaks in the noise range.

Finally, an equal distribution of pressure in the tyre print contributes to a regular wear pattern, maintaining low noise levels throughout the lifespan of the tyre.

Vredestein's Wintrac 4 Xtreme is available in 14 H and V rated sizes.

Pneus Online:

Wintrac Xtreme is a high performance winter tyre designed by Giugiaro. The unique W-shaped tread pattern gives a powerful appearance to the tyre. Developed with Optimum Silica Processing technology, the tread compound enhances winter performance and ensures good grip on wet surfaces. Equally distributed pressure across the tread reduces noise level and increases the life expectancy of the tyre. The innovative sipe technology and the saw-like sipes offer good grip on compressed snow. Wintrac Xtreme promises high performance and good steering response. Also the tyre's rim protector protects the wheels from accidental damages.

Etyres.co.uk

The Vredestein WINTRAC XTREME is a high performance winter tyre with an aggressive W-shaped tread.
To ensure maximum grip in the snow, sipes in the centre of the tyre are angled at 90? to the driving direction.
Thinner zigzag sipes in the shoulders improve handling performance.
Optimum Silica Processing (OSP?) technology, utilised in the tread compound?s production, works to enhance winter performance and improve wet grip.
Reviewers describe the tyre as ?sticky? on snowy, icy and wet roads.
Starting, stopping and cornering traction of the Vredestein WINTRAC XTREME is great.
Even wear allows for low noise levels throughout the life of the tyre.
Rim protection helps reduce damage to alloys/rims.

·
Registered
15 Posts
P.S. - how/where did you get them fitted? I assume you got them delivered to your house...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
JBaguley said:
P.S. - how/where did you get them fitted? I assume you got them delivered to your house...
Yes in fact I had the Tyres delivered to home (Next Day Service) and collected the New Wheels from a shop in Luton. Once I hadthem I contacted a few local Tyre Fitters for quotes. I put the Wheels Tyres in the boot (with rear seats folded) and had them expertly fitted & Balanced for £60. Bargain :thumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts