RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my fair share (maybe more) of audis. Fun, but expensive.

I do alot of outdoor stuff: climbing, backpacking, etc. Need a car that can handle that and gear, and go places. Being a HUGE top gear fan, they swear by the range rover, so i should as well right? Also have a photography business, and will need to haul gear.

Im looking at a budget of <10000$ and im located in the PNW, portland or. Since i dont know much about range rovers, this generation fits my budget and i figured i should make a post here.

Im wondering about common issues, what to look for when test driving, etc. What models/generations to stay away from, etc. Looking for a reliable
Should i look for a 4.0 or a 4.6? and notable differences in the years?

I didnt see any "stickies" here, but if there is something that details all the basics, that would be great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The rangerovers.net site has a huge amount of information about all Rovers, here's their main site:

http://www.rangerovers.net/

There is a specific page here with good information on purchasing a Rover, particularly the Range Rover 4.0/4.6 sections:

http://www.rangerovers.net/rrbuying.htm

In general the later years (1999 - 2002) had a Bosch engine management system that was an improvement over the earlier GEMS system, and being newer should be in better condition. I prefer the 4.6, a bit more power in a heavy vehicle like this is worth having.

I bought a 2002 4.6 several years ago and have put about 22,000 miles on it for skiing / biking / climbing trips, the Rover has been a pleasure to drive every time, well worth the maintenance these vehicles require.

Dan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Thells, nice pic's of your truck. I was wondering, did you get those rims polished or chromed or what?. I've got an 01 with hurricane wheels and want to make them shine like that too. Do tell, how did you make em shine like that, they look great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We love our 2000 P38, but the maintenance gets to be a PITA. It's either lots of time/labor or lots of money. I'd go for your favorite Subaru flavor that's got LSD in the rear - I've been consistently surprised by my Forester that doesn't have the LSD.

It's no RR, but it hauls a bunch of stuff, gets 15mpg better mileage, capable AWD, ground clearance comparable with many SUVs, and it's got your typical Japanese quality.

But if you want the baddest offroad vehicle straight from the factory - Rover is it. My old lifted Jeep didn't come close to our stock P38 in capability, comfort or style.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have an 99 4.0, kinda wish it was a 4.6 but I do quite a bit of towing. I purchased from LR dealer so had a small
warranty period. With that 30 day warranty I got heater o-ring fixed, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket replaced.
guessing that alone was worth $2,000. Purchased warranty from dealer $250 deductable. Had waterpump replaced.
would of costed $700 instead just $250. So I would again only purchase from LR or somone who had $$$ to keep
it regularily serviced. Dealer had all the service records from my truck since new. It would not be hard to spend more
'than the value of the truck on maint. Id go as new and as low milage truck as possible and from a dealer. my 2 cents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts