RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets,

Long time lurker, first time poster ;) Great resource you have here!

I searched around but due to my incompetence as a newbie i need your advice.

I found a local (less than 45 min away) 1998 4.0 p38a for $1900 in good condition and seemingly good maintenance up until her husband passed away about a year ago.

Since then the rangie has developed some EAS issues, (before anyone suggests castration, not what I'm wanting to do :) )

Seems that the front end will not lift off of the bump stops, back end seems to be working satisfactory. I have no problem reservations and plan on replacing all of the air bags and a valve block rebuild (o-rings and such)

I have not had a chance to crawl under it to look for anything obvious yet.

my question is other than the above could anything else be causing the problem? Any hints on specifics to look for?

Thanks in advance!!!

Below are some pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Personally, I would pounce on that deal, install a MARS kit to get you around until you figure out the problem...and love it.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm with Kmag assuming all else is good. It looks like its hard faulted. The MARS kit, an RSW Buddy Box, and pressure gauge from Rover Renovations will make diagnosis easy. I think $1K would be a worst case scenario. Otherwise, make sure you have no faults in the AC system (manual with exclamation in temp display window) and that its running good. What's the mileage?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have pretty much made up my mind on getting it, at this point there seems to be nothing else wrong with it that i can see, heater works good, cant really test the AC as its 33 degrees outside lol

mileage is 160k, mostly highway miles as they live out pretty far from anything. They are the original owners and have service receipts from LR of Spokane and Seattle going back to 1999.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
If I was closer I'd beat you to it.

Quit typing and go buy it.

And promise never to ask about MKIII/RRS conversions or non-factory wheels. :thumb:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong, buy it! what ever is broken you could probably fix youreself with the help of this forum.

One thing to check is that there are no water leaks and there is no coolant residue in either front footwells.

If the display were the odometer is, is not reading any serious fault messages then you should be fine

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I like the factory wheels :)

Kmag... love the avatar btw

OK... Ill go buy it... thanks for the advice!

Look forward to many frustrating late nights on this forum... lol

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thats a very good deal, I would go for it. I got mine a year ago for $2700. It would have sold the next day if the seller posted it on craigslist. Thankfully he did not. I guess rovers go for cheap up there in N. Idaho. I should start monitoring things in that area ;) . If you don't buy it, let me know cause I will.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lrscott - will do :)

Unless something major appears I am going to buy it tomorrow

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
One thing you may want to try while you're there:
*WARN the owner you're about to do this*

From a stand still with it in gear... stand on the gas up till it shifts. Even better if you can do it on a little bit of an incline. If you hear a rapid, loud popping sound the transfer case chain is stretched and will need replacing soon. The part isn't bad, but if you have to take it in to get fixed it'll be another $6-800 dollars. Not a deal breaker in my mind, but just something to keep in mind.

Also...you may want to ask them about the TC chain first, as this whole event may be unecessary if they're replaced it already. (most last 100k-150k miles, depending on the driver and trailer towing weight/frequency)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kmag-

I will give that a try

I'm pretty mechanical, with RAVE and this forum, I'm fairly sure I can take care of anything... almost haha

Thanks to all for the advice, I'm sure you will see me around a lot in the near future :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congrats on a great deal !

+1 on kmagnuss suggestion (the bit about not messing with the original P38 aesthetics).

N.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got it :)

Looks like the front airbags are pretty bad on the lower parts.

Going to bring it home this weekend... would you recommend that I disable the EAS for now until I get the front fixed? (front is on the bump stops, rear seems that its in low profile.)

also hearing what may be a beginning of an engine knock that i will have to investigate.

few interior trip pieces need to be replaced (leather boot around e-brake, the trim on the A and B pillars look a little on the rough side.)

Any other advice for a new p38 owner?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats!

Now go read the main site front to back. rangerovers.net
Way ahead of you... Been reading it since 2007 lol. Browsing through the RAVE as I type... Now I just need to figure out this little knock... Thinking it may be a good time to rebuild the top end of the engine :)

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
i think i love you. :thumb:

Before you go tearing her apart, check to make sure the manifolds don't have a crack...and of course check the oil level.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, you got a great deal! Welcome to the club, and if you're ever in Boise, look me up ;) .

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This should prolly be in a thread of its own...

Is the difference between the GEN III and GEN II really that noticeable? I have heard that the GEN III provides a little harsher off road ride than the GEN II?

What are you guys running?

lrscott-
Will do, I make it down that way about once a year on my trip to the Sierra Nevadas. (Family Vacation/Reunion) My goal is to have the rangie ready to go by late June for the trip.

Same for you, If you are in the area and want to go play in the mud

1 - 20 of 29 Posts