RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a few Range Rovers in the 2003-2004 model year - and was actually quite close to buying a 2004 when suddenly prices seem to have shifted again, which puts a 2006 within reach.

The one I am looking at is at a dealership that doesn't know much about Range Rovers and I'd sure appreciate some help. My questions are around the navigation system and phone connectivity:

The NAV system doesn't have a DVD so it won't work. That's pretty easy to understand. Looking at ebay and other places it seems like there are DVD's produced up to 2009 - will those DVDs work in a 2006 system?

Is there any way to check GPS functionality without the DVD in the system?

In the 4WD monitoring mode I get "compass unavailable" - does it need the DVD for the compass, or is something wrong?

The unit appears to have an aux input. Where is the input located? I couldn't find it - dealer is clueless.

Do all 2006 units have bluetooth? It says "no phone installed' (or something similar) - is this as simple as a bluetooth paring, or ?

Does anyone know where a copy of the owners manual might be found online for no charge? I don;t want to spend $$ on a manual for a model that I might not buy...

Lots of questions I know - I'd sure appreciate any help. :)

Thanks!
Graham

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
grahamk said:
I have been looking at a few Range Rovers in the 2003-2004 model year - and was actually quite close to buying a 2004 when suddenly prices seem to have shifted again, which puts a 2006 within reach.

The one I am looking at is at a dealership that doesn't know much about Range Rovers and I'd sure appreciate some help. My questions are around the navigation system and phone connectivity:

The NAV system doesn't have a DVD so it won't work. That's pretty easy to understand. Looking at ebay and other places it seems like there are DVD's produced up to 2009 - will those DVDs work in a 2006 system?

Is there any way to check GPS functionality without the DVD in the system?

In the 4WD monitoring mode I get "compass unavailable" - does it need the DVD for the compass, or is something wrong?

The unit appears to have an aux input. Where is the input located? I couldn't find it - dealer is clueless.

Do all 2006 units have bluetooth? It says "no phone installed' (or something similar) - is this as simple as a bluetooth paring, or ?

Does anyone know where a copy of the owners manual might be found online for no charge? I don;t want to spend $$ on a manual for a model that I might not buy...

Lots of questions I know - I'd sure appreciate any help. :)

Thanks!
Graham
The Aux input should be in the back of the centre Consul under the flap under the rear centre A/C Vents!

2006 Model Bluetooth uses a 2121 code to pair with your phone. Just get your phone to seek the unit then pair using 2121. You then need to set your phone to auto connect and to "Trust" the LR unit. Then you get in and are connected!

Latest 2009 DVD should work fine. You really need this for the system to work at all.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
237 Posts
To activate the compass you have to push the GPS button and choose off road mode.

·
Registered
543 Posts
GK.

It's your choice, would you rather buy a BMW or a Ford ? Once that answer is made, than choosing between an '05/'06 is yours !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
vinniman said:
GK.

It's your choice, would you rather buy a BMW or a Ford ? Once that answer is made, than choosing between an '05/'06 is yours !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.
Sorry Vinniman but I have both and the Ford/Jaguar car is definitely better especially the 07+ version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's your choice, would you rather buy a BMW or a Ford ?
Good question and definitely one I have thought about. I like the way the '06 drives a bit better. Having owned a number of Jaguars over the years my impression with Ford ownership isn't negative - they put some sorely needed reliability into the XJ line. Their new cars don't impress me though.

Another option appears to be an '04 with a $1,000 upgrade to the nav system. '04's can be purchased for half the money. But the difference in the way the '06 drives makes it difficult to pull the trigger on that thought.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Run away. Fast.

Kidding around. Sort of.

In all honesty, the engines in all the L322s are decent. I own the 2004 (which is BMW sourced). You are looking at a Forguar. Each engine has its pluses and minuses. For example, there are hoses in the back of the engine bay in the BMWs. They are like $700 each to replace, and are difficult to access. I'm not as familiar with the Foguars, so I will just leave it at that.

PERSONALLY, I would look for a 2007. There are more reported issues with the 2006 MY... There were a lot with 2007, but in general, I have heard less with the HSE. The 2007s are getting cheap now too.

Otherwise, I can cut you a nice deal on a 2004 with 60k miles (White/Sand).

·
Registered
12 Posts
grahamk said:
Another option appears to be an '04 with a $1,000 upgrade to the nav system.
I just upgraded my '04 with a MKIV navigation computer and the cost was EUR 400 (about $600). In short I found a used MKIV computer with the latest software and traded in my old MKIII computer. The swap takes only about 5 minutes and requires no technical knowledge whatsoever.

You can likely find a MKIV computer for less that that in the US.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

I am in the market for a RR as well...parting with my 2005 Bimmer 745Li. I'm looking for a 2007MY RR. This may be a silly question but is it worth it to fork out an extra 9-10 grand for the SC? How powerful is the HSE? Any must-haves to look for? I appreciate any/all recommendations!

Mike

·
Registered
543 Posts
NN3k.

I'd definitely recommend any person interested in a near new FFRR to find the facelifted model in the specific colour you want !

Give us an idea of which part of the countryside you're from and we can contribute our Two cents worth on the HSE versus S/C ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Currently, I live in Omaha Nebraska. I plan to retire from the US Air Force in 3 yrs and move back to Houston Texas. We had a major snowstorm this week and the 745 handled it like a champ...with snow tires. We have a newborn coming in April and I'd like the utility of a RR...easier to handle the load of strollers, etc. Thanks for any info that you can provide.

MEM

·
Registered
543 Posts
NN3k.

I'd opt for an S/C '07 model if this was the vintage of L322 Range Rover you're after, as it shares the same engine with the Jag !

If you can find the correct colour(white for the Texas sun) with less than 50,000 miles on the clock than it's worth paying extra ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
58 Posts
robad said:
grahamk said:
Another option appears to be an '04 with a $1,000 upgrade to the nav system.
I just upgraded my '04 with a MKIV navigation computer and the cost was EUR 400 (about $600). In short I found a used MKIV computer with the latest software and traded in my old MKIII computer. The swap takes only about 5 minutes and requires no technical knowledge whatsoever.

You can likely find a MKIV computer for less that that in the US.
I did the same thing. Got a used MKIV out of NYC for $500 shipped, found an ISO of the DVD online, burned it, threw it in the Sat Nav and it all works great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts