RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_20190506_162745299_HDR.jpg IMG_20190506_162819750.jpg
Having had years of experience with electricity and electrical devices I understand why the insulating material would get burned, charred and litterialy fall to pieces.
I've seen it many times on many different types of things but this has happened to both of my P38's and on the tower with the aluminum pole not the brass pole interestingly enough.

But what I don't understand is why it seems to happen so frequently (to me at least). Is it due to the location of the coil packs that make it difficult to get the high tension lead seated firmly into the connector?

I've never seen coils fail this way this frequently.

Rioja.

·
Registered
965 Posts
How often is it failing? I have a Thor engine, but the coil pack has only been replaced once with the original going well past 200,000 miles. Perhaps GEMS design is weaker than Thor variant?

Also, when you buy replacements, do you buy OEM or do you go for ones with provenance of unknown origin.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are from two different GEMS engines not the same one. I have no reason to believe they are not the original coil packs.
One of them went at just over 100,000 miles and the other is new to me but the mileage is 158,000 and totally burned off so probably been cooking for a while.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts