RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of driving my SC FFRR I decided to come up with a list of things I would love to see changed for my next FFRR.
Maybe someone at LR is reading.

1) The stupid knob gear selector. Just put in a shift handle like the sport. I can't even tell you how many times I've been in Sport and when shifting to Park accidentally hit Reverse instead of park. I want a shift handle.. Not a stupid knob.
2) I understand the lineage of the RR and it's off road capabilities.. But why can't the control system for the off road capabilities be moved into much less valuable real estate. It takes up half the console and can easily be relocated to perform the same function. It can even be on the touch screen.
3) The rear seat buttons that cause the seats to fold.. Those are horrible. Half the time I can't tell if the seats are going up or down or I'm adjusting left or right. And you can't adjust the seats from the rear seats or front of cabin. It's a giant PITA. Put a switch at the rear seat too.
4) How have car manufacturers not figured out yet that we all need a place to put our smartphones and keys?
5) Seat massagers.. Make them better. They kind of suck. I don't even feel the one in the drivers seat anymore.

Other than that.. I love the vehicle.. Keep em coming.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Interesting thread

1) The stupid knob gear selector. Just put in a shift handle like the sport. I can't even tell you how many times I've been in Sport and when shifting to Park accidentally hit Reverse instead of park. I want a shift handle.. Not a stupid knob.
Not with you on this one. I really like this and have done ever since it was introduced. I find that there is a deliberateness in its action. It does take some getting used to and freaks people out who have never seen it before but I prefer it to a vertical shifter especially off road as you do not have that risk of knocking it into neutral.

2) I understand the lineage of the RR and it's off road capabilities.. But why can't the control system for the off road capabilities be moved into much less valuable real estate. It takes up half the console and can easily be relocated to perform the same function. It can even be on the touch screen.
There are lots of us who routinely use them off road and the placement of those buttons as hard switches is pretty much ideal. I agree with your point though it is valuable real estate but given that some of us use the vehicles in extreme conditions I think they have made the right choice of location.

3) The rear seat buttons that cause the seats to fold.. Those are horrible. Half the time I can't tell if the seats are going up or down or I'm adjusting left or right. And you can't adjust the seats from the rear seats or front of cabin. It's a giant PITA. Put a switch at the rear seat too.
These things are a nightmare starting with remembering which one is left and which right, then there is strange delayed action. Talking about seats, one thing I would really like to see is an ability to control all of the seats in the car from the drivers seat. Many times we are driving back from somewhere and I realize I have 3 sleeping passengers who have fallen asleep upright. I know that every jolt I induce as the driver is going to make their heads wobble around. If I could recline all of their seats I could get back to the job of enjoying my driving.

4) How have car manufacturers not figured out yet that we all need a place to put our smartphones and keys?
I have my phone in a silicone skin which happens to work very well placed on the lovely flat cover for the drinks holder. Problem is if I want a drink. Storage is something that JLR just do not get right, especially for the driver. I really hate the door pockets, a combination of their depth, width and the contour of the bottom means some things fall out and other things are hard to grab.

5) Seat massagers.. Make them better. They kind of suck. I don't even feel the one in the drivers seat anymore.
They also do not stay on for very long. The mechanical system deployed in many massage chairs would be much more effective, but I guess noisy.

Other than that.. I love the vehicle.. Keep em coming.
I am going to add one, the trunk cover. It is a PITA to use and with a light (Ivory) interior valets and bell men who do not know how to operate it generate little scratch marks on the rear pillars.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
1. Just be happy it isn't like the Mercedes SUV's. Makes me feel like I am driving a forklift.
2. Better now be on the touch screen. I just do not think it would behave quick enough to be useful.
I am not sure where the suspension button is on the newer trucks but my 2011 button is perfect. I put the truck in the up position 99% of the time and most of the time I do not even realize that I do it.
4. I keep my phone face down right in front of the steering wheel. Ironically I touch it less when it is there. I usually put my key on the gear shift boot or the ashtray where I keep my change. My house keys and the rest of the keys that I carry go in the glovebox with my wallet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll add one more thing I was just thinking about today - the centre console cover - I wish it would slide back (ala the new DB11) rather than flip open. How dare it get in the way of my elbow when I'm trying to reach for extremely important stuff inside. A gentleman must be able to gracefully access his coins and gum. #fwp.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Agree with the trunk cover. Actually, love the gear knob.

Most annoying feature...start/stop defaults. More annoying, settings don't get saved. Unlike bmw, Porsche etc. so annoying...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree to what B-Line said +

Better Iphone connect/Bluetooth - cannot rewind forward/backwards the songs only skip to the next/last song ! :evil:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Agree with the trunk cover. Actually, love the gear knob.

Most annoying feature...start/stop defaults. More annoying, settings don't get saved. Unlike bmw, Porsche etc. so annoying...
Oh and one stupid non intuitive thing is switch is labeled "Auto Start/Stop Off" and LED is on indicating that it's activated (i.e.auto start/stop Turned off). It's actually reverse of it. You press this switch to turn off the LED and turn off auto start/stop

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm adding one. With the addition of the rear camera wash in the MY16 it needs a bigger washer bottle. I have filled it up more times than I have put gas in!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
I'm adding one. With the addition of the rear camera wash in the MY16 it needs a bigger washer bottle. I have filled it up more times than I have put gas in!
Use rainex. Better yet use the rainex washer fluid.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Use rainex. Better yet use the rainex washer fluid.
Rainex is OK, but coating your windshield with VG1 from 22ple is much better, I mean much better. Also makes your blades last longer if you live somewhere that is prone to lots of pollen. It does wear off but with practice application is easy or have a detailer do it. http://www.detailedimage.com/22ple-M57/VG1-Perfect-Vision-Window-Coat-P948/115-ml-S1/

It is not the windshield I am having issues with, it is the rear camera wash. I have not stood behind the car when operating it but it sounds like about a pint of water is getting dispensed between the rear windows and the camera. If you do it at speed you can see what looks like a mini monsoon hit the car following. Never used as much before they added it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I whish somebody ask to the chief engineer @ LR where is the difficulty in making the auto high beam not working if fog lights are on...

I whish somebody ask to the chief engineer @ LR to make the front armrest storage a little bit deeper so as to be able to put in the skies in winter...

...mobile made, typos inc[ul]ded....

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Rainex is OK, but coating your windshield with VG1 from 22ple is much better, I mean much better. Also makes your blades last longer if you live somewhere that is prone to lots of pollen. It does wear off but with practice application is easy or have a detailer do it. http://www.detailedimage.com/22ple-M57/VG1-Perfect-Vision-Window-Coat-P948/115-ml-S1/

It is not the windshield I am having issues with, it is the rear camera wash. I have not stood behind the car when operating it but it sounds like about a pint of water is getting dispensed between the rear windows and the camera. If you do it at speed you can see what looks like a mini monsoon hit the car following. Never used as much before they added it.
So too much is coming out?

I was saying rainex on the camera lens to you didn't have to clean it often.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So too much is coming out?

I was saying rainex on the camera lens to you didn't have to clean it often.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into that.
I coated the lens which helped a bit, but as has always been the case with the RR the dirty air behind the vehicle is pretty static so stuff still builds up. The second the water hits it is clean, problem is IMHO it is dispensing too much water. The jets for both the rear camera and the rear glass are pretty large and it operates that pump for two reasonably long bursts. The reason I added it to the post yesterday was I had just reversed the car into a spot, pressed the button to clean the camera and then got the out of fluid message. When I went round the back to get my case from the trunk you could see the mini Niagara flowing from the rear screen and the camera.

I may ask if smaller jets can be fitted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agree and have posted about the jets for the RRS... Lmk if you have any luck finding out about smaller jets or ones that mist rather than cause a waterfall

2016 RRS HSE TD6

·
Registered
389 Posts
Oh and one stupid non intuitive thing is switch is labeled "Auto Start/Stop Off" and LED is on indicating that it's activated (i.e.auto start/stop Turned off). It's actually reverse of it. You press this switch to turn off the LED and turn off auto start/stop
JLR fixed it in 2017...I guess they heard me :thumb: it took them few years to fix the unintuitive ...

image.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
How about these?

1. Actually design and build a range rover that will last as long as a land cruiser with no major mechanical or electrical failures?
Why is a 2007 Land Cruiser with 180,000 miles on it worth more than a 2007 Range Rover with 100,000 miles on it?

2. Design an off-road vehicle with that will allow smaller wheels than 20 inches.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dislike the rotary gearshift intensely. Very awkward when maneuvering, which is a LOT in the LWB, often slamming to a halt with great embarrassment as I select P by mistake while twirling the dial.

I don’t think it’s an excuse for off-road use as wasn’t it born in the Jags?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts