RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forum, didnt find anything 100% conclusive. Pretty sure it's thermostat.

Question--car overheated on short drive home last night;i
turned it off, when it heated back up again i turned heat on and it
dropped. seemed like classic thermostat to me. This am, on the way i did
same thing, it stayed cool while i had heat on high. Air never came out
warm though. Suggestions?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Need more information....

Have you been loosing fluid?
How many miles, what year?
Have you ever replaced the radiator?
Have you checked the fans?
When you squeeze the upper hose, does it gurgle?

Let us know.

·
Administrator
27,799 Posts
Was the heater working before? Have you checked you coolant? Low coolant easily causes lack of heat and overheating.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great point toadie. I WAS low on coolant, i lost some due to boilover; also the o-rings are due. I did top it off.

95k miles, 02.
the underside hose is definitely cold, top is definitely hot. it's odd in that it's intermittent-sometimes the heat comes out warm, others cold. it drove to work ok, but on the way home started running hot again. stop and go, stop and go. i dont notice the fan running when it's super hot.

Never replaced radiator. I was about to undertake a flush and fill with Prestone's Flush to get rid of deposits and sludge. three step-first with flusher, second flush with water, third to refill. now im wondering if i have to do the viscous clutch AND water pump AND the darn thermostat as it's about that time, right? i might just do thermostat and see.

·
Administrator
27,799 Posts
Your radiator is most likely plugged up. has it been flushed? after you shut off the engine is the radiator hot all over or cold in spots? Replacing a butt load of parts is going to do good unless you trouble shoot the overheat issue. hopefully you haven;t already toasted things. :crybaby2:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks toadie! I might flush the whole system first to see what happens. I cant tell if there's red or orange coolant in there, it looks like red but i'm not for sure. I have the instructions in rave on how to do it and I've seen how you have said you always follow those instructions with no issues, so I guess I should give that a whirl today first before throwing parts at it like you said. I assume to flush i dont need to remove the thermostat, right?

I was going to use that prestone flush, unless you think I can just hit it with a hose. Any specific suggestions on how to remove the gunk from radiator if that's the culprit?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one other thing-i did notice it was gurgling in the cabin, so perhaps even though i topped it off it got very low and never got filled, causing the overheating?

Anyway, it's in for the flush and fill. The guy at the shop tells me it makes NO difference if I use red, orange, or green coolant. dealer says texaco red. it is pinkish/red in the reservoir now, so I'm not sure what's going to happen. Im hoping that whatever coolant they put in after the flush is good. however he said they use coolant to flush it. will this be a problem?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like it WAS an air bubble that was triggering the overheating, NOT the thermostat OR radiator. They said they're using "chameleon coolant" which "adapts" to whichever system its in. I told him it has to be OAT coolant, and he said that's fine. Hopefully we solved the problem and the couple times it peaked in temp didn't cook my gaskets.

I know that I DO need to fix my O-rings and solve that leak, and then if there is any other leak (gaskets etc) i'll see the reduction in the reservoir.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Should have done the o-rings at the same time - no sense filling & draining again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts