Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A white with black top SVR is at the Washington DC Auto Show - I'll post some pictures of it in a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had one at the Houston auto show today also, blue with black roof. Exact same display set up as your pictures.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I was told there only two examples in the US right now. Makes perfect sense why they are only at select shows.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
How the heck are you suppose to sit in the vehicle to check out the seats etc? Pretty dumb display methodology.
You aren't. With so few examples at this point they are not meant to be pawed over and muckied up. If someone is actually interested they need to make arrangements with their local dealer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You aren't. With so few examples at this point they are not meant to be pawed over and muckied up. If someone is actually they need to make arrangements with their local dealer.
I hear you, but Dealers do not have cars yet so I was relying on upcoming Toronto Show to help make my mind up to buy. Maybe the Toronto show will not use this display.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Looks like you'll have to make up your mind without seating in one or test driving one. That or wait for 2016 to order one the way you want it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Amazing! I think I prefer the blue though.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
How the heck are you suppose to sit in the vehicle to check out the seats etc? Pretty dumb display methodology.
The one at the LA Auto Show was open to the public. If you like padded, contoured, and supportive seats with good lumbar support then prepare to be let down. I was very unimpressed and I would put them on par with seats from a classic car.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The one at the LA Auto Show was open to the public. If you like padded, contoured, and supportive seats with good lumbar support then prepare to be let down. I was very unimpressed and I would put them on par with seats from a classic car.

( padded, contoured, and supportive) Those are all qualities I wouldn't expect from a sporty car seat which is what the SVR really badly wants to be.
Really having a hard time justifying the upgrade to SVR now that the ECU/Pulley upgrade is available to above SVR levels. Does anyone know how different other components like suspension, brakes, and transmission are? Do we know if JLR will continue to produce the SVR in 2016?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
( padded, contoured, and supportive) Those are all qualities I wouldn't expect from a sporty car seat which is what the SVR really badly wants to be.
And yet Porsches, and certain BMWs and Audis are sporty cars with ergonomically perfect seats (aka padded, contoured, and supportive).

The SVR's seats are close to the ones in a 2010 WRX - they look fierce and feel cheap

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is this from looking at pictures or from sitting in them?

I sat in the SVR at Quail in August for about 15 minutes and throught the seats felt excellent. I obviously didn't drive the car and 15 minutes isn't living with them but I don't agree with the assessment that they are unpadded, uncontoured and non-supportive. Time will tell but this seems like a harsh assessement and none of the early press reviews have said anything like this.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Sitting in them. I sat in the driver's seat for about a minute, maybe 90 seconds. I honestly think the lumbar section feels exactly like the previous gen WRX seats. I thought that was an unacceptable design for a $28,000 Subaru so I am horrified that they are in a $100k+ Land Rover.

As for the bolsters, they are entirely useless for me. honestly don't know what LR was thinking. I had lots of room between where my rib cage ends and where the bolster begins and they are not adjustable. I imagine that my ribs would slam into the bolsters in every hard corner, which would be quite painful.

The bolsters did not offer the "cupping" sensation that is afforded by Porsche or by BMW's sport seats (with adjustable bolsters). Audi's "S" and "RS" bolsters always do the job properly. Even Volvo managed to put excellent ones into its $45k 04-07 S60R.

The only explanation I can think of is that LR's market data showed that SVR purchasers are "well-fed", so the seats were designed with that in mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. I didn't have that same assessment. Also, I expect that there are certain elements on those pre-production SVRs on the chow circuit that are not the same as what will be in the production cars. That may or may not include adjustments to the seats.

I think it's silly that they aren't letting people sit in the cars. At they SF show they had it locked but it was till possible to sit in it if you asked.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I assumed it was a production car that would actually be sold to an unlucky buyer after countless people - and infants - climbed all over its cabin. Interesting point you make about it being a pre production example. Hopefully actual production cars will see beefed up seats.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts