RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my brand new $69,245 2010 RRS HSE LUX w/ RSE and Extended Leather Pack into service this morning with a whopping 58 miles on it to get the flashes for the modules referenced in http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=274804#p274804.

When I arrived at the dealership the tech noticed that my SRS (safety restraint system) and airbag light was lit on the speedo portion of the dash. After careful examination the tech discovered that a mouse had chewed thru the wiring harness under the passenger seat. The service manager proceeded to examine the vehicle with a flash light to find evidence of mouse droppings – and there were none to be found. Would you believe me if I said the tech accidently erased the fault codes…..(He did)

A simple fix would be to replace the harness and I was advised that I should call my insurance company. HA HA HA…. As I have had the car a whopping two days and there is about ZERO chance this happened on my watch, I think a simple fix would be to return the car and get a new one. I guess the option is mine to have them replace the harness but that makes me concerned because I don’t know what other damage the pesky little rodent might have caused.

Please ask questions and any advice is welcome….

·
Registered
36 Posts
What is it with the mice???? On my first pollen filter replacement the service tech showed me where a mouse had gotten in and tore up the filter behind the glovebox compartment. Then about a year and half later I had to get the suspension compressor replaced and the tech(different one from the pollen filter) showed me rodent droppings IN the compressor housing. Neither of us could figure out how they got in there. I keep the RRSS garaged all of the time and have never had these issues with either of my other vehicles kept in the same garage. Weird.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE ****

I just left the dealership and at first glance what appears to be the handy work of mickey is actually a wire loom that was snagged. The loom was wrapped around a portion of the seat frame and at some point when the passenger seat was moved to the full back position it snagged the wires. A portion of the matt black seat frames shows an area that is shiny as that is where the loom got snagged.

The problem now is that the loom is a new sku and not available in the US storage silos (aka Caterpillar), it appears as if they are going to have to pull it off the Solihull assembly line and ship it thru customs.

Damm – Call off the lawyers, forget about the free upgrade to a S/C

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE 2 ****

Could be up to three weeks for the new loom to come from Solihill, as this is a critical part, the national service manager from Land Rover wont allow them to splice the wires nor do they want them to hack another car on the lot to get the SRS loom / harness. The General Manager of the dealership put me in a 2007 RRS HSE SC and he said on monday he will give me his personal 2009 RRS HSE HST SC till my car is whole again.

Boy it sucks to not have my 2010, maybe when is all said and done I can get them to throw in a new Range Rover Thermal coffee mug....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mice must love the filter. I had a dead one in mine last winter. Funny though, I didn't smell it. That filter must be good!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
808 Posts
I'm thinking it's more likely the Land Rover Factory staging facility is over-run. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Noticed in the back top of the engine compartment a number of acorns + what appeared to be rodent droppings. Weird. Might be when shipping them over or something?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After it was determined that a new wiring harness would take upwards of 8 weeks to obtain, Land Rover of Annapolis obtained for me a complete new 2010 sport identical in every way to the original one except the new one does not have the Extended Leather Package. Both the Dealership and Land Rover North America stayed in contact with me every day to let me know the status and they were extremely accommodating in that;

1) The Dealership provided me with a supercharged loaner whilst waiting for my replacement to arrive.
2) The Dealership refunded me $1,000 for the Extended Leather Package
3) Land Rover North America paid for 1 month of my loan - $876.49
4) Land Rover North America gave me a free Quick Release Tow Hitch Receiver worth about $400
5) The Dealership gave me lots of goodies – Land Rover Blankets and Thermal Mugs
6) John Guth – the GM suggested that I try on a really nice Land Rover Men's Micro Fleece Vest – another freebie

I can’t say enough great things about the folks at Land Rover Annapolis - John Guth the General Manager and Gary Redmond the Sales Manager, these folks understand customer service – Kudos to the both of you for making a bad situation smell like a rose. When the new car arrived all my gear was transferred over and Dave Robbins the Finance Manager had ready for me to sign a reassignment of VIN for the bank and Department of Motor Vehicle – easy peasy….

I should also note that I emailed Gary Temple, the President of Land Rover North America, he had Jillian Sabine - one of the executive liaisons monitor every part of this situation. The interaction of his office and my dealership made the replacement a fluid easy swap.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Very nice to see that level of customer service from LR. Sounds like a good dealer. :thumb:

...the only thing, you'll have to modify your signature, now. :D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Wow. I have never heard of a car company that does that. Sounds incredible. Good on them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
gbrown3622 said:
What is it with the mice???? On my first pollen filter replacement the service tech showed me where a mouse had gotten in and tore up the filter behind the glovebox compartment. Then about a year and half later I had to get the suspension compressor replaced and the tech(different one from the pollen filter) showed me rodent droppings IN the compressor housing. Neither of us could figure out how they got in there. I keep the RRSS garaged all of the time and have never had these issues with either of my other vehicles kept in the same garage. Weird.
Beleive it or not, a mouse can contort itself through a hole about the size of a #2 pencil. I'm in a food related industry :geek: and have learned about how nasty those cute little f'ers can be. Millions have died from disease these vermin have caused/spread since the dawn of man. Messing up a good RRS is the last straw though!!! :evil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts