RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn’t find a post on this. As I have my 05 RR opened up for surgery, thoughts came to me to install 2 kill switches hidden around the driver seat itself. First switch would be tapping into the starter trigger wire by cutting into the wire at the starter and running the wires through the firewall into the driver side and mounting a hidden on/off switch. With this switch ON the car would not crank even with key being turned or hot wired. As for the second switch it will be similar setup but would be tapping the electrical connection at the fuel pump. With this switch ON by itself, the car would crank and not start. Plenty time for me to hear unknown thief cranking away for me to grab a nice size caliber to greet unknown thief. I think I would rather not tap into relays or circuit board as to not piss off the sleeping giant and its electronics. Anyways I will be doing these mods but wanted to share for inputs or thoughts. Might even call my insurance folks to see if I can get some anti-theft discounts! Doubt I will get any but hey I can now leave the car unlocked with 1 or 2 hidden switches ON.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
dude... waste of effort and time. the factory alarm already keeps the owner out when least wanted....getting stolen is a joke. You start screwing with the factory alarm and ignition with butcher jobs and you are the one that will be locked out. leave well enough alone so you don;t keep the ECU awake with errant signals draining your battery.

The idea of getting additional insurance discounts for something that will end up leaving your rig crippled is laughable. Range Rovers since about 1995 have always had the best insurance discounts for security and anti theft systems in the industry. in the real world you have an old, low value Rangie. enjoy the low insurance rates that you already get and don't worry additional discounts due to bodge jobs.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
364 Posts
Well then. Guess I didn’t think about the voltage drainage. Will leave it alone. Though the main goal wasn’t about insurance discounts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts