RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The usual - HDC, reduced traction - battery fine but reduced gears

Hi all, been using this forum as a diagnosis tool for a while, but I've come across something which combines multiple regular faults, but seems unique. I'll give you a run down.

- Had the brakes changed (discs and pads) in December. Handbrake has been problematic since. Been meaning to get fixed but I work on the road and don't get to garages very easily
- Had my suspension light come on a few times, fixed each time by various works - first time new compressor, next time new bearings, next time a bit of wire over the front right hand wheel had chafed away and my new, very good, land rover guy sorted it. (what a spot!)
- Had a service done a week or so ago, been fine since. Done probably 1000 miles.
- Left the car in the very cold for a couple of days (-5 when I got back to it) and when I tried to start I got the HDC / suspension / trans fault error message trio.
- Came on here, was dead set my battery was on its way out so went to Kwik Fit to have it tested. It tested fine but they kept putting the bloody handbrake on and it was screeching - told them not to but they didn't get it.

So, symptoms:

- HDC warning message
- Flashing low range selected light
- Car sticks in third gear (no manual override)
- Car beeps constantly and says "apply handbrake" when in Park
- Starts fine
- Reduced voltage in the system
- Battery tested and load tested and is healthy (80% starting capacity)

Have looked around again and it seems people are fixing similar, but not identical, issued with new radiators, fuel filters or brake light switches. Where do I start?! Could the major service have caused this? Fuel filter change was included in the service.

Sorry to ask a very similar question to one which has been asked so many times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: The usual - HDC, reduced traction - battery fine but reduced gears

Further possibly relevant info:

It snowed when the car was sat still for 2 days
My cruise control stopped working when I left the car parked in the rain for 2 days last November
There were 3 bulbs replaced at the service a week ago

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

There were 3 bulbs replaced at the service a week ago
Thanks!
Which ones? A brake light bulb perhaps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I'm not actually sure, however I've come across a few brake-light related posts on here with similar symptoms. Going to go home and try and test the brake lights.

Do you think if I stamp on the pedal and run to the back really quickly they'll still be on?! :)

Seriously though this is a 2 man job I could do with not being a 2 man job!

Thanks for the reply

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,762 Posts

You don;t have a block of wood, binder, old broom handle, shop vac extention... etc laying around? Place object on brake pedal and run the seat forward to hold it and the brake pedal in place.

BTW, it is not an issue of the brake lights working. It is an issue with an incorrect bulb in place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You don;t have a block of wood, binder, old broom handle, shop vac extention... etc laying around? Place object on brake pedal and run the seat forward to hold it and the brake pedal in place.

BTW, it is not an issue of the brake lights working. It is an issue with an incorrect bulb in place.
Ah I see - makes sense I guess if a bulb is acting up. I should probably add that when tested, the running voltage of the system was low, but it was fine at source and fine when the car was off.

Whats the best process for testing the brake bulbs? Remove each of them one by one and start the car, see if the errors clear?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

The only 100% reliable way is to buy only OE brake light bulbs from the dealer. As RRTH mentioned its an internal impedance issue with the bulb that causes the RRS to go HAL9000. Its not a bulb working/or not working issue. If you're not sure which brake light bulb(s) was replaced, I'd buy 2 from the dealer and replace both and see if this problem goes away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my way to the dealers this afternoon to get the bulbs changed. Might be a waste of £30 but worth it to find out

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

but worth it to find out
That it is. You could spend many more pounds trying to sort this otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spent my £30 and found out! It wasn't the brake light bulbs after all.

Now I have no idea what to try! Anybody else?

Oh and I had a play with a disco sport whilst I was in there...its definitely a freelancer in disguise!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bulbs replaced at service were offside sidelight and number plate bulbs. Could they be the issue? If so, will removing the bulb completely stop the error?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

OK.

When you were there, perchance did they download any error codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Good lord no! They want £103 for that. I did get to see what showed up on the diagnostic machine at my regular landy place and there were similar ones to the dash, plus low system voltage. Possible one which was a connection lost fault. I don't remember off the top of my head, but if there is a specific one you're wondering about I might remember it? Thanks for all your help, I'd never have thought to check all this myself

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts

Good lord no! They want £103 for that. I did get to see what showed up on the diagnostic machine at my regular landy place and there were similar ones to the dash, plus low system voltage. Possible one which was a connection lost fault. I don't remember off the top of my head, but if there is a specific one you're wondering about I might remember it? Thanks for all your help, I'd never have thought to check all this myself
They may have been the cause of many of these troubles with their last service attempt, and they want money to offload the diagnostic codes?

You're going to need to be more firm.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Check the alternator, my 06 had similar issues. Battery checked out ok,
replaced the alternator and it fixed it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts