RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I was driving through highway, when I turned on the A/C, the truck inmediatly starts to vibrate. Who has an idea?

The A/C works fine and it only happened when the A/C was operating. :-?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Had something similar which also yielded a squeak noise... Turned out to be the AC compressor clutch pulley bearing. With the AC off and no load it was fine, just the occasional squeak. AC on and compressor loaded caused a pulley wobble/vibration. I'd start by running the engine and looking at the compressor AC off... have someone hit the AC button and observe what happens when the clutch snaps and the compressor begins spinning. It could also be some play in the shaft which would require a compressor rebuilt/replacement... Luckily for me it was just the bearing. If you see it's a bearing I'd suggest replacing the pulley/clutch shims/snap rings. Technically you'd remove the compressor to carry out this work, though I was able to do it with a little creative thinking with the compressor still on the car. I put a torch to the bearing once everything was stripped off the compressor shaft and delicately used a pry bar to work it off the shaft... On refit I put the new bearing in front of a space heater and put bags of ice all around the shaft... then quickly slide the bearing into place before temps equalized. Otherwise you'd do this type of work with a press, which suffice it to say isn't going to fit with the compressor still fit to the car. Also once you have the ac compressor shaft exposed, make sure it doesn't have any play as again the compressors internal shaft bearing could be the issue....

This all into account it could be something else as well, like a tensioner on the belts... observe all this during your diagnostic

1 - 2 of 2 Posts