RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please advise me where to obtain a galvanised chassis for a re-build of my beloved Classic Range Rover, 1994. I've been informed that it is possible to buy a NEW one, but i have been unable to source one. I would be very grateful for any advice. Also I would very much like to buy a fibreglass or aluminium tailgate if indeed such products exist. Look forward to any correspondence with you fellow enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
282 Posts
hi,

chassis from Designa Chassis here
tailgates- top from Famous Four in ali here
bottom in GRP used to be available from MM 4X4 here , not sure if they still are.

I've galvanised chassis in the past with great success - it's far cheaper (£350 ish) than buying a new one so long as your chassis is sound

cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for your input, regarding the tail gate in aluminium or fibreglass I am trying to refer to the drop down part of the tail gate, do you have any advice on that ?..... again thank you

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi BarringtonS,

Like I said, I think MM4x4 do a lower tailgate in GRP (they certainly used to) - I dont know of a lower being available in aluminium.

You can also get new steel tailgate skins from Paddocks, John Craddocks, Rimmers etc so you could in theory repair your existing tailgate with new steel skins and then have the assembly galvanised along with your chassis, giving it potentially a very long life, it wouldn't add a great deal to the galvanising costs.

cheers

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
149 Posts
I am planning to have my current chassis galvanized. Shouldn't cost too much and it's the ultimate solution to rot.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
37 Posts
Don't galvanise a tailgate - it'll warp badly and the skin will be rippled. Have it e-coated. Expensive, but highly effective (it's what modern manufacturing does, and when did you last see a rusty BMW or Toyota?).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Don't galvanise a tailgate - it'll warp badly and the skin will be rippled. Have it e-coated. Expensive, but highly effective (it's what modern manufacturing does, and when did you last see a rusty BMW or Toyota?).
It'll only warp if galvanised badly - galv has a bit of an unfounded reputation for warping - basically a pressed panel has stresses contained within it wherever the metal has been stretched or shrunk (car manufacturers often desing these stresses in on purpose to add stiffness) - manufacturers also use cold rolled steel, which is brilliant material but does not cope well with thermal shock - I've galvanised many panels (the most complex being a bulkhead off a Classic) without any warping issues - the galvanising company I use pre-heat the metal gently before dipping it into the tank - this alleviates any warping from thermal shock - also, strengthening beams (from robust 5mm thick 50mm angle) are added to fragile components to retain shape on any potentially weak items - without doubt Snagger is right, it can happen, but normally only if done by a company not used to thinner more complex panels.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts