RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a link to my last post about my lovely Range Rover...

I'm up to 90k on the odometer now, and took it out for a stroll last weekend when it lost most of its power and the dash read "restricted performance". The dealership hadn't seen me in awhile so I'm sure they were excited and saw dollar signs when I pulled in. After a week of diagnosing it, the verdict is a complete timing replacement. 26 hours of labor and about $3500 in parts!! Around an $8000 bill! How exciting!! Luckily that will be covered by the CarMax extended warranty so I'll pay another $300 deductible.

What a great and reliable vehicle!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
So you find needing timing hardware at 90k that unusual? You are driving a heavy, luxury, high powered european V8. My Audi V8 needs belts at a recommended 80-100k miles. Newer versions of that engine went to chains that go 150k but require engine removal for that service. The Jag V8's are known for needing this service around this mileage. Its complex and has lots of parts to replace. An independent would do it for much less.

·
Registered
881 Posts
You can debate the $8k but planning for this job at this mileage seems like a good idea based on its track record. A person could argue that an old push rod engine with simpler valve train or a straight 6 wouldn't have this issue and that would be a valid point. But if you want big V8 power with variable valve timing and a computer constantly adjusting for conditions then you are signing up for more maintenance. In 2013 JLR changed the design to prevent premature wear of the tensioning system and go for more miles. Make sure you get the upgraded parts.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Newer versions of that engine went to chains that go 150k but require engine removal for that service.
Chains that require replacement? That's interesting. Must be a designed-in wear-out.

The Jag V8's are known for needing this service around this mileage.
I hope not - I've got a 2012 Jag XJ with 130k miles & this 2012 RR with 122k miles. While the RR has it's LR-related drama (transmission not correctly installed at the factory & other unrelated gremlins), the valve train is still smooth & quiet.
On both of them.
As a matter of fact the Jag has been great over the last 5 years that we've owned it, only needing REAL wear parts (rubber suspension bushings).
- Almost forgot about the TPMS failure that's been hanging around, but that does seem to be squaring itself away little-by-little lately (and oddly).

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
So an $8000 repair bill for "maintenance" is normal for this vehicle at 90k miles?
I agree with you - no. Not normal or acceptable.
If you have the estimate, look at how much is parts (MUCH since it's a dealership, and many usually charge more than JLR. If your dealership is like mine (Fields Land Rover in Orlando), they seem to roughly charge more than about 300% of MSRP ( or than some other dealerships) on some parts, like nuts & bolts, rubber bushings, washers, gaskets...).

When my dealer misdiagnosed a bad spark plug as a blown head gasket that would require a whole top-end and front-end rebuild, the independent garage that I subsequently talked to about doing it would do the dealership-prescribed repair for less than what Orlando Land Rover estimated in parts ALONE!

Fortunately, before tearing into it and proceeding with the Orlando Land Rover prescribed repair, the indy mechanic took a look at it first, and found it was just a bad spark plug.

Hey, dealers are only human, right? We all make mistakes!...😏

It's been running fine since, not losing a drop or whiff of coolant.

BIG difference.
Fortunately, not a problem for you - you have that warranty to take care of that!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yea that warranty does make a difference. Since you aren't forking over the 8k, Im sure the dealership knows they would get a yes from you to proceed. Whether that 8k repair is in fact what is "needed" or not, that is a question you might never know a true answer to because there is no incentive for you to save Carmax 8k lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Everyone in the LR community knows of the 5.0 timing chain issue. Most factor in the cost at purchase time. Only the 10-12 MY 5.0 V8's were affected. 2013 and up repair kits will not suffer, as LR changed the parts to overcome short lifespan. Sounds like another "Doug score" stick it to carmax story that works out great for the owner with a carmax warranty. Some have gone 150K without the need repair. Most around 100K. $7-8K for the job is normal. There are many posts on the forum about it. Congratulations on your warranty, you've gotten your moneys worth.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I'm surprised Carmax doesn't consider it normal wear and tear given the number needing this job at about this mileage. When researching the '10-'12 models this came up countless times. I decided I wanted it anyway, I love the power of these engines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All great info, folks. The warranty company did ask for service records this time, and the dealer called this morning to update me that an adjuster is being sent by the warranty company to the dealership, and the bill is closer to $10k. Can't wait to see how this plays out! Going on a month without the truck at this point. Good thing it's an extra vehicle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm surprised Carmax doesn't consider it normal wear and tear given the number needing this job at about this mileage. When researching the '10-'12 models this came up countless times.
I'm also surprised that Carmax is still covering the timing chains, as they have been taken to the cleaners by many '10-'12 l322 owners.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fun update...

The warranty company approved the repair after "going back and forth" with the dealer a bit on parts prices. While working to put this piece of **** back together, they found three additional issues. First, the oil cooler is leaking. Second, the vacuum pump is locked up. Third, two of the camshaft sprockets are burnt up.

Sweet!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts