RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i've mentioned the idle is giving me trouble on the range rover. i've gotten it to be more consistent, but now it does this:

when the engine is cold it revs around 2k at idle. it will stay this way until i turn the truck off and restart it.

after it is restarted it idles mostly normal, around 800 to 1000. still a little erratic, but much better than it was.

i checked the two 2-pin temp sensors on the intake by the upper radiator hose (lucas v8) and the green one (ect?) reads 535 ohms while the black one reads (air temp?) 2050 ohms.

it seems to me the green one is a bit low, but i cannot find a resistance chart for it in rave. i only seem to come across the chart for the external temp sensor :roll: . can someone measure theirs cold and hot for me?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I with the above, grab a bottle of throttle cleaner and spray over engine to see if you have a vacuum leak. MAF, ETC

Check engine light on???

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi there seems as though i have same problem, no leaks,no codes,fitted new TPS NO BETTER cleaned MAF but not stepper motor off to do it now, will let you know the out come. :?:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done similar. Cleaned throttle body, TPS, replaced TPS. No luck.

I've looked for vacuum leaks, and I have not been able to find any and I think if it was large enough to let the engine rev @ 2k I would have found it, hell I could probably hear it. Besides if it was a vacuum leak which was temperature dependent it would slowly get better. To me its in the engine management since I can turn the car off after it has started warming up, restart it immediately and the idle is normal.

I finally measured the two temp sensors in the intake when the car is at normal operating temperature. The ECT (green one) is 50 ohms and the IAT (black one w/brown connector) is 240 ohms. I just picked up a new ECT from the store and at room temperature it measures 1650 ohms.

Sounds like the ECT is bad to me, but it also sounds like the ECU is not reading the ECT. Why would I have to restart the engine to correct the idle? I'll try swapping out the ECT sensor and see how it goes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed the ECT. No dice. However, I can disconnect the battery when it is cold, start the truck and the idle is good. For some reason just restarting when it is cold is not enough, it has to be hot for restarting to fix the idle. I guess I'm going to have to wait for the scan tool this weekend...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi m8. any joy yet, fitted new air flow meter,stepper motor and throttle motor no joy, :evil: taking it to main dealers tomorro :crybaby2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet. I'm hooking up the OBD-2 tool tomorrow, so hopefully that will tell me something.

It seems like the ECU is opening up the idle motor on cold starts and not really pulling it back down as the car warms up. I can't see where else the extra air is coming from to allow the engine to rev so high.

let me know what you find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They just reseated the ECU plug and adjusted the idle screw? I've tried everything but the ECU connector...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts