RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i know it's been discussed ad nauseum but i'm gonna try to give it my own twist. i am looking for the ONE set of tires to meet all my needs. and yes i know there will be sacrifices to make in certain areas - but here's my situation and driving habits and i hope you have some opinions.

-2010 rrs hse lux with 275/40/20
-live in the sf bay area, and 90% of my driving would be considered "summer" highway, city, and local roads
-take 2-3 winter trips per year to the snowy mountains - used to be more, but have little one so it's been limited, but will be more in the coming years
-take 8-10 fishing trips per year often involving "off road" but typically limited to fire roads, gravel, some bumpy rocks, trails, but nothing to be considered major off roading - my rock hopping days are long gone
-rain is a factor for 4 months a year - then dry as can be
-i do not want to swap out the 20's and have 2 sets for summer and winter, just looking for the one set of tires that will give me a little more all terrain performance than the michelin's stocked on my rig now.

ok, fire away - merry christmas to all

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I love my nitto grapplers. THey hold up quite well with the wonderful freeways surfaces on the oakland side of the water! THey do great in the snow, sand and gravel. Clay soils plug up the tread a bit faster than I would like, but that only happens once or twice a year.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've done some looking online and the nitto grappler doesn't appear to come in a 275/40/20 ?

·
Registered
543 Posts
SJG123.

To be perfectly honest, the all-rounder tyre you're trying to achieve is very specific and is sometimes referred as touring type !
The best pattern I've come to appreciate is the Dick Cepek FC2's, unfortunately they're not available in 20 inches for your RRS.

Having visited SF & Yosemite in the early 90's, I'm pretty familiar with conditions you've expressed and can provide comment.

Only BFGoodrich offer their A/T Ko2's in 285/55R20 which I'd recommend for your 20"x9.5" RRS wheels that will sit 32"s tall ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
472 Posts
The best SUV tire I have ever purchased are Yokohama Parada Spec X - and compared to other all-season tires I've had, its not even close. They are a Tire Rack best seller and are rated a 8.5 out of 10. They are the most quiet tire I have ever had on a SUV. Wet traction was superior. My experirence in snow was limited and fine but as other have convinced me here, serious snow requires dedicated snows tires. These tires are affordable too; a little over $600 for the set. When my factory Mich's are worn out, this will be their replacement even with the dedicated snow's I just got. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
You can get Nitto Terra Grapplers in 265/50/20 or 275/55/20 (might rub) or Cooper LTZs in the right size too. The Coopers have got great reviews on this and other LR forums as an A/T tyre.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
sjg123 said:
there will be sacrifices to make in certain areas

just looking for the one set of tires that will give me a little more all terrain performance than the michelin's stocked on my rig now.
You've answered your own question there. Your best bet is an A/T tire such as the Cooper LTZ or Nitto TG. :thumb:

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 Yokohama Parada Spec X.
For those who have not tried them, do yourself -and your truck- a favour and do it: Just a great tire at an honest price. I used them as replacements on my FX 35 after going through 2 sets of OEM Bridgestones. Can't gush enough about the improved grip, noise and overall wear. Plus they even have an attractive tread pattern. I will not hesitate to put them on my 2010 when they need replacing.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
The LTZ's are nice but not a street tire. They'll give you a little more road noise and don't handle as tight as a performance street tire. That said, if you want a offroad tire that handles snow but can still run pretty well on the road, they're a good choice. I run them all year round and am happy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One more that I'd say might be worth looking at would be the Nokian WRG2. It only comes in a 255 wide - but I believe that will help in rain, snow and even the occasional dusty road you mention.

This is Nokian's "All Season" which considering the source, is like a winter tire from anyone else (it has the snowflake/mtn symbol), is V rated and 109 load rated.

I set these up on my Cayenne for this winter and can say they are just as sure footed in Tahoe as Blizzaks I had on my S6, yet still feel quite stable doing my daily run up and down Hwy 17. I say this - and I put these on a set of 18's. I would imagine the 20s in a 35 series tire vs 45 series that I'm running would only feel that much better in the dry.

If you are anywhere around the So Bay, I'd be willing to let you check them out -

I'm pretty certain I'm going to mount up a set for the RR, too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Using, the Tire Selector on their website, it appears you can get the WR G2 in 275/40 R20.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre-selector

This online dealer is offering them for $292 per as of 29 Dec 09:
http://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearchadv2.aspx?treadwidth=275&profile=40&rimsize=20&Winter=1&Pageindex=1&choice2=All

The debate going on in my head is (1) getting a set of these with separate non-glamorous wheels, (2) getting a set to replace my factory Michelins on current wheels, (3) getting some Spikes-Spiders or (4) just go with some low cost cables but am concerned a standard cables/chains solution will scratch the rims.

I live in San Diego and head up to Mammoth once a year for about 2 - 3 weeks, so was thinking option (1) and just using them during ski season since they are also pavement worthy. Naturally, the lobster dinner option.

Any thoughts from the experienced folks?

Cheers all for a great new year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One issue I'm wondering, too - I signed some paperwork that stated I would not run tire chains with the 20's. Is this a standard RR thing or specific to us in the Bay area? I don't know if clearance on the inside (between the rim and suspension) is the problem? It was really tight on my S6 when I had it, hence my foray into winter tire setups.

The challenge I have with the Diamaris is that they are only **slightly** more treaded than the Michelin Latitudes (non Diamaris) I run on the Cayenne in the Summer. I suspect better wet traction, but I really wonder about snow/packed snow/ice.

And I know its especially hard on those of you who only occasionally hit the snow. My gut tells me you'd be pretty happy with any of the reccomended tires on your factory 20's. You'd have the winter traction for the few times you need it, but you'd retain a good deal of the tire charateristics that you enjoy now: namely, small, stiff sidewalls for a heavy rig. Make sure you get high speeed rated & heavy load rated tires to keep that nice stiff sidewall (I don't drive V rating speeds, but like the the V rated tires because they just feel more solid).

Finally - only more opinion here: I had a non-Audi winter wheel setup and think it looked pretty mean (in a good way). Sort of form follows function.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts