RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all of you, ideally those of you with experience in the matter. I currently own a P38, and I do not intend on getting rid of it. I do however intend on picking up another Rover. I'm not as interested in the new Range Rovers, as I'm looking for something that is a little bit more utilitarian than the 4-wheeled yachts that the RR's have become (not that I don't want one of them too :lol: ) Anyway, I know that Land Rovers are infamous for spending just as much time in pieces as on the road, and my P38 is a testament to that! What I would like to know is if the LR4 (or even the LR3, as a good used LR3 would be gentler on the wallet) is better than generations past. Have they fixed the bug, or will I be spending just as much time in the garage again?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Our LR3 has been flawless. Its a 05' with nearly 90k on the clock. It also sees trails often so its not just a payment princess. `) I would pick up a 05' with low miles and drive it to save the miles on the P38. You wouldnt spen more than $20k. Fr better than $55k on a new LR4. The 4.4l Jage engine is a great motor and scoots the LR3 along nicely.

LR3 is the better buy by far.

·
Registered
543 Posts
New World Order.

I wouldn't touch any LR3/LR4 with 40 foot barge poles since they're just as prone as per their earlier Disco' exclusive brethren !

For something Roverish and a bit more utilitarian, why not pick up an S.A. built BMW 2.8ltr 6-cylinder powered 90 Defender ?

If you want an unbiased and brutal review, pick up a copy of the "Dog & Lemon Guide" at your local newsagent Mr Free~mason.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
I went from dual range rovers to a p38 and an LR3 some time back, and the LR3 is still going strong. Is also fantastic off road, and looks good with upsized tires. We use the extra seats all the time, and indeed is why we bought it in the first place.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
My family's had an LR3 since they first came out in 2006, and has had very few issues. The extra seats are great and it's a great in the East Coast winters. Bad MPG though, but we didn't buy it for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts