Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big fan of the atlas grill so I bought another grill on eBay to play around with (for a great price) -- I decided to paint it the same color as the body.

I used a rattle can from Automotive Touchup not expecting great results but surprisingly it turned out like the factory finish :shock:. The clear coat had some orange peeling due to the rattle can -- but got it flattened out, then polished.

Recipe:
- 2 coats of the base color
- 4 coats of clear coat
- Wet sanded with 1500 grit
- Cut with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
- Polished with Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
- Cleaned with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax

I will install it later this week.

When I hold it up to the car, I think it looks good... if not, I can keep my original.

Here are some photos:
Automotive exterior Bumper Grille Metal Vehicle
Automotive exterior Grille Bumper Vehicle door Automotive design
Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Table Technology

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice.

I bet you have sore fingers from the sanding. When I get the chance I love cleaning cars bit I hate cleaning and drying RR grills. Maybe when I swapped the Atlas one on my current one out for a Santorini one I should have painted it myself. However given it takes less than 5 minutes to do the swap it was one of the most satisfying upgrades I have ever done.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Installed... I guess it looks similar to the dark atlas "SE" version, but a bit more refined given it's color matched instead of adding another hue. I kind of like this look... well, until the new 2017 grill comes out ;)

What do you guys think -- original atlas or color matched?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Grille

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Bumper Grille

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Grille

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
338 Posts
I'm liking the color matched.

Maybe even color match the letters and front bumper trim too? Just a thought...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts