RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All
I’ve been posting in another coolant sensor thread about my Temp gauge issues and struggles to source the green coolant sensor AMR5929 i.e. the green sensor next to the alternator that goes to the gauge.

Issue: Woke up one fine morning, hopped into my 1998 Gems P38, and drove the boys to hit at the high school and well after the engine was warmed up, the temp gauge remained in the blue. Next morning, I changed the thermostat, however, the issue remains. I hooked up my very average Innova 3130c scan tool and got no codes.

What I learned so far: I did some research. This learned P38 forum and Rave taught me that there are two coolant sensors in the vicinity of the alternator. The green sensor sends to the gauge and the brown sensor next door sends to the ECU. I also read a number of threads discussing grounding issues tied to temp gauge issues.

I don’t think I have a grounding issue as the temp gauge is not surging or moving right and left. My temp gauge remains just below the blue. So that leaves me with a bad green coolant sensor or a dead temp gauge at the instrument panel.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to source the elusive green AMR 5929 sensor. You fine folks have also done a great job in connection with the hunt. It seems that UK company Craddock may be the only vendor to have the sensor. However, before I contact Craddock and at the suggestion of Left, I’m going to do more research and testing.

Suggestions please...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Does this sensor have one or two electrical contacts? If only one try measuring resistance from connection to ground when cold and then when hot to see if there is a change. If two connections measure between them. Might tell you if it really is bad.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has two contacts. If sensor is bad wouldn’t it cause fault in the EMS and trigger a code in the on board diagnostic system ?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
No. Thus why we keep telling to you test the sensor etc... Oh well

1 - 5 of 5 Posts