RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The Hank Tank is no more. Finally had too many issues with the suspension, transmission and climate control to justify continued expense. Pulled everything off and sold the truck. Rigid Light Bar, Tepui Ruggedized Tent, Foxwing Awning, Brush Guard, Wheels and Hitch Mount swing-away tire carrier are all available. I'm not shipping anything, so hit me up if you are in the Phoenix area.

Registered
Sorry for your loss. 06 L322s living up to their reputation I see. Getting another LR? I would have called dibs on the wilco carrier if I lived near AZ.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the 2006 is just... frustrating. It's a bit too much of Frankenstein's monster it seems. Between the myriad problems, the horrible dealers/service departments and the dramatically overpriced specialty Land Rover shops, I decided to move away from the brand altogether. It was a painful decision as I really enjoyed being part of the community that actually puts these rigs to the test out in the wilderness and I don't have much affinity for being a Jeepster. I ended up picking up a 2013 Land Cruiser with $88k miles and a full dealer service history. I am starting a new overloading build on that platform, primarily for the combination of capability and reliability. So far, I haven't found anything my L322 could do that the LC can't, but its definitely not getting any style points. On the plus side I should be able to put more money into upgrades and mods now that I'm not paying for flatbeds and repairs.. at least that is the theory. We shall see.

I already love the LC for many of the same reasons I loved the L322, but its definitely not the same. I do enjoy the strange looks from the unknowing Jeepsters that think I'm pushing them on the trail in a Sequoia. Everybody loved the way the Hank Tank looked and were amazed by what it could do on the trail but they didn't have to live with the knot in their stomach waiting for the double ding and an afternoon of troubleshooting with the scan tool just to get home.

I still have a lot of conflicting emotions on this.

Registered
Haha we all know a thing or two about the double ding sound. I am happy for you in the LC. I will be right behind you in a LC as well in the long future once the Mrs. confronts me about spending our savings on repairs.

Registered
Sorry to hear, given the issues you describe sounds like you made a sensible decision going to a Land Cruiser. Not sure the problems you had are 2006 specific though...as we all know every experience is custom to the individual RR.

Registered
Lc is a good truck. Reliable my wife forcing me to buy a lc.
I am exhausted with my range rover but i love my car.
I am dealing with couple of problems right now maybe i will swap the jag engine with a 3uz toyota engine from japan its very popular in russia, buying a land rover for comfort and view putting in a good heart of toyota

Like this one
Toyota discovery

Registered
Bummer - such a beauty. A quick question concerning the side steps - could they be used as a jacking point? I notice you had a hilft jack so I'm assuming you put that under the side steps? Thanks!

Registered
That's too bad, that's a beautiful Rover and a nicely done. Wish you were closer, I'd have picked up the tent and other things.
If you don't mind, could you list the repairs that you'd consider excessive and that drove you over the edge? This would help others looking at these trucks, especially someone like me who's thinking to upgrade to a second iteration of the L322.

Registered
Sounds like so many other stories I've read of owning these. The LC should treat you much better. Best of luck!

Registered
Your one of the lucky ones that managed to escape, don't turn round and don't look back just keep going and for God's sake far in the future don't put on the rose tinted glasses. All the best the LC will never let you down.
Now to everyone else here get your wallets out .馃槴馃槴馃槴馃槴

Registered
Your one of the lucky ones that managed to escape, don't turn round and don't look back just keep going and for God's sake far in the future don't put on the rose tinted glasses. All the best the LC will never let you down.
He is happy for second time.
Range rover owners are happy for 2 times.
First buying
Second selling
:cry:

Registered
He is happy for second time.
Range rover owners are happy for 2 times.
First buying
Second selling
:cry:
It just sucks. The L322 is a great looking truck, and when it's operating at 100% it's awesome to drive. Why couldn't they have just built it simple and dependable? It wouldn't have to even be Toyota dependable, just to the level of GM or Ford would do.

You have to be a person who is willing to accept that you can do all the preventative maintenance in the world, throw parts at the L322 trying to keep it "fresh", and it's still going to break down and likely going leave you stranded at some point. That's not really acceptable for most people in the 20th century who intend to use their L322 for their primary transportation.

It's also certainly not acceptable if you're going to go way off the beaten path, and actually use it for its stated design purpose. There's a lot of places out west I wouldn't want to need a flatbed.

Registered
What are you talking about? Over the last 12 years I've had 2 and they've been amazing.

Registered
Every new owner thinks it's going to be different for them don't they.

They buy a used Range Rover for a fraction of its cost new. In their excitement, they do a flurry of preventative maintenance and repairs trying to sort out the truck, and just when they think they've done it all, something else they didn't anticipate breaks in some weird sort of way. Eventually, like the OP, they realize they're NEVER going to sort out the truck.

There are enough people on the internet to keep the fantasy of a dependable L322 alive by saying their experience with the L322 has been great and they've never had a major breakdown. I've never met any of them in person, but I've read their proclamations online.

In my opinion, these tracks just aren't suitable for a primary driver. At best they're a 2nd string vehicles that you play with but don't depend on.

Registered
It just sucks. The L322 is a great looking truck, and when it's operating at 100% it's awesome to drive. Why couldn't they have just built it simple and dependable? It wouldn't have to even be Toyota dependable, just to the level of GM or Ford would do.

You have to be a person who is willing to accept that you can do all the preventative maintenance in the world, throw parts at the L322 trying to keep it "fresh", and it's still going to break down and likely going leave you stranded at some point. That's not really acceptable for most people in the 20th century who intend to use their L322 for their primary transportation.

It's also certainly not acceptable if you're going to go way off the beaten path, and actually use it for its stated design purpose. There's a lot of places out west I wouldn't want to need a flatbed.
EBS, That鈥檚 all I have to say to anybody on any land rover

Emergency Backup Subaru

For 3 year i had very good gas consumption on range rover because i am driving wife鈥檚 subaru

Registered
Every new owner thinks it's going to be different for them don't they.

They buy a used Range Rover for a fraction of its cost new. In their excitement, they do a flurry of preventative maintenance and repairs trying to sort out the truck, and just when they think they've done it all, something else they didn't anticipate breaks in some weird sort of way. Eventually, like the OP, they realize they're NEVER going to sort out the truck.

There are enough people on the internet to keep the fantasy of a dependable L322 alive by saying their experience with the L322 has been great and they've never had a major breakdown. I've never met any of them in person, but I've read their proclamations online.

In my opinion, these tracks just aren't suitable for a primary driver. At best they're a 2nd string vehicles that you play with but don't depend on.
I second this motion!

Registered
I think you guys are being too dramatic. If by "never sorting it out" you mean the fact that a 10+ year old complex piece of machinery is going to require additional expenses, then I guess I'm with you but under the same pretense, you can include nearly any luxury European automobile of similar vintage. I've been driving BMWs almost exclusively for the best 20+ years and everything you describe could be said about every BMW I've owned 95-onward. They all have their own quirks, they all require careful planning and selection, especially when buying used, and they all need a certain type of attention if you're planning to enjoy them long-term. Most of my BMWs have done over 200k mi on average, and while to some, the "hassle" of maintenance and repairs may be overbearing, for me it was well worth the effort and expense. I enjoy a certain type of dynamic in a vehicle, something very few automobiles can deliver, and I think L322 is one of those that can.
The failures and weak points are well-documented, the community is strong and again, with proper planning, you should not be needing on-going astronomical repairs. It will only help if you're handy and can do basic maintenance items yourself. Now, this won't help if you've got yourself a lemon, or if the vehicle you purchased had lived a rough life before you, but on a flip side, there are plenty of people that have these with 200k+ mi, albeit they're not as vocal as those who encounter a problem.
If Toyota's reliability, styling and driving dynamics is your cup of tea -- by all means, it's a free country. There are plenty of SUVs on the market that will not have the cost of ownership comparable to L322. For the rest of us, I think we'll stick with what we love. Life is too short to drive sh*tty cars, IMHO.

Registered
"Emergency Backup Subaru" - I had three of them before I had two Land Rovers, the last one was an Outback which chronically overheated from brand new - I traded it in for a pre-owned LR3, the best SUV I ever had, I sold that at 220K miles for the low mileage 2010 L322 I now use.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts