RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about the reasons that the P38 4.0 and 4.6 has a poor reliabiliy record, and particularly how this relates to engine overheating, and whether this could be due to the lack of a £5 low coolant sensor.

Over the past 5 years, my P38 has suffered coolant loss from 8 places - waterpump (twice), throtle body sensor (twice), head-gasket (once), coolant overflow pipe (once), radiator top hose (once) and just recently radiator bottom hose has started weeping.

Because I check coolant levels quite regularly, I've spotted the coolant level dropping and fixed the problems before they've caused any damage. However, many users will not notice a coolant loss until overheating starts. Once the engine has suffered overheating, then it is more likely to slip and liner and result in more coolant loss and more overheating.

Because the P38 has got no "low coolant" sensor, most drivers don't know about a coolant loss problem until it is too late. So, for the sake of fitting a £5 low coolant sensor, Land Rover has created a record of an unreliable engine. Bizarre considering it fitted a low screen wash sensor.

Has anyone retro-fitted a coolant sensor to these engines, and if so, how did you do it?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts
I have made the BMW mod on my P38 without the Throttle body heater circuit. The only down side to using the Low screen wash sensor is that, it will first warn you when you turn the ignition on and then the only warning you get is if you try to operate the windscreen washer while driving. This method of alarming may be too late if you have a sudden loss of coolant.

Thanks to Storey, I build this circuit some time back and never wired it in.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... f3d8d77882

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks....

I'll follow-up on the other thread

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Desert Boy,

Any photo of the mod around the throttle heater? I kept it with a home made tee but i don't like the way it is.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
550 Posts
Tell you the truth my mod is no better. Instead of blocking it at the source and bypassing the Throttle body, I just blocked the return line at the coolant tank with a small metal rod and a clamp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts