RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Close to where I live there are lots of open fields to run my dogs
One open area has a large, SHALLOW, rain water dam, close to where new roads are being built
I regularly drive through it at about 10 km/h and my dogs run around splashing

Great fun, till ONE DAY something changed

You can see how shallow the water is on the left hand side
Luckily he was still around and came to help with a big smile
Being a RR it started, just had to drain the lights at home
I suppose it would have been a problem if the left side and air intake had gone down.

20160820 1.jpg 20160820 2.jpg 20160820 3.jpg 20160820 4.jpg 20160820 5.jpg

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
149 Posts
I've done very similar. I had a muddy watery spot I'd drive through occasionally on my way home from work that was never deeper than the middle of the tires. One day I drove through and the bottom had been hogged out by someone with a much larger vehicle. Water over the hood to the point it started coming through the fresh air inlet into the inside. The engine died after a few more feet and I sat there slowly getting wetter. After a good 10-15 minute soak I finally got the engine restarted and every time it would idle up on the four cylinders firing it would pull forward about a foot. With low range and plenty of pedal to keep it alive I was able to slowly work my way through to dry ground. It was a couple days of careful drying to get everything running right and all my interior sound deadening foam was completely ruined.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch, I was lucky, I was in a major panic when it finally came to a rest. The engine was still idling, but I switched off and got out in a hurry. The worst part was walking barefoot in the cold mud. After I got pulled out and it started I saw the funny side, correction, I saw the funny side after it started and my daughter showed me her face book page - she actually started posting photos BEFORE it was pulled out. To think I fed and clothed her, I want a refund.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
310 Posts
I've done very similar. I had a muddy watery spot I'd drive through occasionally on my way home from work that was never deeper than the middle of the tires. One day I drove through and the bottom had been hogged out by someone with a much larger vehicle. Water over the hood to the point it started coming through the fresh air inlet into the inside. The engine died after a few more feet and I sat there slowly getting wetter. After a good 10-15 minute soak I finally got the engine restarted and every time it would idle up on the four cylinders firing it would pull forward about a foot. With low range and plenty of pedal to keep it alive I was able to slowly work my way through to dry ground. It was a couple days of careful drying to get everything running right and all my interior sound deadening foam was completely ruined.
Had almost the exact same experience one but I was able to drive through it, probably 100 yards before it died just outside. It started once the ignition system dried out. We had water everywhere though! I only have carpets now mostly because of that event.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
about 20 yrs ago, I hydrolocked a 3.5 during a stream crossing. it inhaled water, I floored it when it begun to stumble, the rest is history...supercooled the hot piston rings, thus they compressed.
long story short I ended replacing the 3.5 as other major internal damage occurred during the ingress of cold muddy water into a hot combustion chamber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts