RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
Hey All -

I don’t want to hijack an existing thread so I am starting a new one.

I picked up a 2019 RR SVR on Oct 1. I have put about 1500 miles on the vehicle for this month, and this morning I had a control arm snap on the drivers side rear wheel suspension and then immediately lost control of the vehicle at about 30mph.

Thankfully, the speed being so slow I was able to regain slight control at around 10mph and was able to guide it to a complete stop short of popping a curb and causing any body damage or worse, injuring a pedestrian.

The roadside assistance basically towed the vehicle to the nearest dealer, and now they have taken over the case. Naturally, they were unable to look at the vehicle today and had no loaners available. When I dropped by the dealership to pick up a few items from the vehicle, the Service Advisor had mentioned they did a quick visual and it looks as if its a clean break of the control arm suggesting it may or may not be manufacturer defect related.

I am sure I will hear more information as this dealer pulls the vehicle in for diagnosis - but I want everyone's feedback here on what your thoughts are, what would you do if you were in my shoes?

My initial gut reaction after this today is that something definitely is not right, and would feel most safe behind the wheel of a brand new SVR. If I can’t trust this vehicle at 30mph, whats the point of having it, especially if I paid specifically for the SVR model.

Secondly, my concern is that the car is so new that they are going to have a tough time sourcing the proper part needed for this vehicle, rendering it non usable until they can get the part from the manufacturer.

I’m sure having issues like this within the first 1500 miles is rare, but I am curious as to how the manufacturer is going to react to something like this if a buy back is requested? I kindly informed the dealership upon drop off that I will start logging time for a lemon law to light some sort of fire underneath them.

Attached are some photos of the poor girl.

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,151 Posts
"May or may not be manufacturer defect related"? Does that mean the service advisor is trying to suggest you did something to cause this?

Manufacturers are notorious for hating buy backs and lemoning vehicles. I'd keep both of these points in mind as you move forward as the threat of either will be to your benefit.

First thing I'd do is have the dealer/LR agree to get you in a vehicle, and I'd ask for a program car not a loaner. I am not sure how lucky you will be with this, but you have to ask.

Next thing is I'd also ask for a replacement vehicle since this was a serious issue and the vehicle is so new. Yes it's expensive but even if it were a new Camry, I wouldn't trust getting back into it.

I'd also document everything including conversations and notations. Try to get conversations in writing via email, etc.

Keep us posted and good luck! Glad to hear you and nobody else was harmed.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
First off, you need not worry too much about your rig being laid up. This will be a warranty issue that if all else fails they can air freight the replacement part from factory. You will have a loaner rig while apart is shipped if not available in network.

Secondly, there is no way you can Lemon the rig without being in the position of multiple failures or multiple attempts at repair. Assuming of course that you are here in the US. Please add your location to your profile so that someone may know the Lemon Laws for Connecticut if you live where your IP is based.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The dealer told me they had no loaners available. When I inquired about if they would have some available later in the week they said probably not.

I was forced to goto a rental car location and get a comparable car. They put me in a GLE350, which coincidentally also had an electronic problem and needed to be returned and now I am in a Ford Explorer, a far far ways off from the SVR. They provided me no indication of when or even if they have a loaner.

Are parts for 19 easily sourced? I wasn’t sure if the suspension/axle/control arms were the same as on the normal sports - or if it is special to the SVR.

In addition to multiple repair attempts, if the car is in the shop longer than 20-30 days for them waiting on parts or a complete fix for one reason or another - this would also warrant a lemon law case. Vehicle was purchased in NY, registered in CT and now at a dealer in NJ - what a mess.

This unfortunately all happened over 50+ miles from my house so I don’t have any real association with this dealer other than its where the vehicle got towed. I didn’t buy it from them.

Very scary to say the least that I would have to consider occupying this vehicle once again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Something very similar happened to me in my previous SCV8 ATB. Glad you're ok.

JLR make great cars but have terrible QC and reliability.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The dealer told me they had no loaners available. When I inquired about if they would have some available later in the week they said probably not.

I was forced to goto a rental car location and get a comparable car. They put me in a GLE350, which coincidentally also had an electronic problem and needed to be returned and now I am in a Ford Explorer, a far far ways off from the SVR. They provided me no indication of when or even if they have a loaner.

Are parts for 19 easily sourced? I wasn’t sure if the suspension/axle/control arms were the same as on the normal sports - or if it is special to the SVR.

In addition to multiple repair attempts, if the car is in the shop longer than 20-30 days for them waiting on parts or a complete fix for one reason or another - this would also warrant a lemon law case. Vehicle was purchased in NY, registered in CT and now at a dealer in NJ - what a mess.

This unfortunately all happened over 50+ miles from my house so I don’t have any real association with this dealer other than its where the vehicle got towed. I didn’t buy it from them.

Very scary to say the least that I would have to consider occupying this vehicle once again.
1. your insurance might be reimbursing you for the rental. It's easy to check.
2. call your own dealer and ask for their advice. they might be willing to help you out with the whole thing.
3. getting parts is worst case, an overnight shipping business from the UK. For a simple thing like the seat heater in my wife's sport they are just now overnighting something. They will definitely do the same in your case, but the dealer needs to be on top of it. so many things come down to the dealer in a case like this that I cannot recommend you enough to try to work with the one that sold you this car and hopes for your repeat business.
4. In your head, don't write off the car. They will fix it for you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi SVRCHR

Happy to hear it ended without a crash for You.

I was in mind if a rear control arm snaps the related wheel looses fine control but stays in driving direction.
On your pictures it is not in line. Does this come from your stop on the curb?

I hope you took more Detail Pictures from the affected parts/damage, as this helps in discussion with LR.

Best
René

·
Banned
305 Posts
i'd be pretty livid. if this had happened at a faster speed it could have been life threatening. don't listen to the apologists out there. legally you can ask for a replacement if the car isn't back in your hand in 15 working days in pretty much all the states. LR is known for playing hardball. they have very little mercy in general. but you might get lucky and get a goodwill replacement from the get go (sans legal requirements) given the fact that it is nearly new. might be in your favor since the 2020 i heard might get 600 hp and some infotainment improvements.

personally i wouldn't want to keep it. i'd give it a fat chance that they'll get the parts and have it all done in less than 15 days. stuff like this will need a regional rep to check out. they don't come around every day.

i lemoned a car but not before they made me miss half a day of work so i could drag them to the lemon law arbitration board and face their mediocre pro bono lawyer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi SVRCHR

Happy to hear it ended without a crash for You.

I was in mind if a rear control arm snaps the related wheel looses fine control but stays in driving direction.
On your pictures it is not in line. Does this come from your stop on the curb?

I hope you took more Detail Pictures from the affected parts/damage, as this helps in discussion with LR.

Best
René

The car was driving down a somewhat main road and unfortunately where I landed was where I needed to leave the vehicle. I wasn’t able to get the greatest pictures or angles due to the fact I would have been impeding traffic in both directions. The car did completely lose control after the arm snapped, and then I regained control and coasted to the side of the road without hitting any curbs or bumping anything - luckily. I will hope to get more pictures at the dealership when they give me a ring.

i'd be pretty livid. if this had happened at a faster speed it could have been life threatening. don't listen to the apologists out there. legally you can ask for a replacement if the car isn't back in your hand in 15 working days in pretty much all the states. LR is known for playing hardball. they have very little mercy in general. but you might get lucky and get a goodwill replacement from the get go (sans legal requirements) given the fact that it is nearly new. might be in your favor since the 2020 i heard might get 600 hp and some infotainment improvements.

personally i wouldn't want to keep it. i'd give it a fat chance that they'll get the parts and have it all done in less than 15 days. stuff like this will need a regional rep to check out. they don't come around every day.

i lemoned a car but not before they made me miss half a day of work so i could drag them to the lemon law arbitration board and face their mediocre pro bono lawyer.

I am pretty much in agreement with you on this. I understand the dealer was not where I purchased it from, but it was through JLR’s road-side assistance that told/informed ME they were having it towed to the nearest dealer. If it was my option - I would have wanted it towed to where I purchased it from. With that being said, I am trying to be cordial with this service department as I have no history with them and it isn’t their fault this happened, but I suspect today I will start losing my patience all together. From my perspective, I paid $130k for a vehicle less than a month ago and it had a catastrophic failure. The dealer where it got towed has offered me no form of relief in terms of a rental vehicle or the ability to even inspect or diagnose it that day (vehicle arrived around 10am local time).

I know lemoning is an uphill battle with basically any manufacturer, but this is a very unique situation. The service advisor had made a comment that everyone at the dealership is on my side and will goto bat for me in this situation - but actions speak louder than words and we will start to see their colors unfold shortly.

At 70-80mph who knows what would have happened. If it was anything like what I experienced at 30mph, I suspect the truck would have rolled. Luckily, I got off the interstate about 10 minutes prior to grab a drink and take a detour - it was sheer luck I dropped off the highway that day - so someone was definitely looking out for me. I am just glad it happened where it did and it was not more serious.

I also agree with you on the parts situation. I have a gut feeling they aren’t going to be able to procure the parts needed to fully fix this problem. Who knows what else might have also been damaged during this entire ordeal that they also may need to get parts for.

The biggest thing in all this is I am safe and it happened at low speed and I am very thankful for that. I think this will end up going down in my brain as a traumatic event to be frank. I don't even want to imagine if something like this ever happened in my E63 at high speeds (100+). Given the circumstances, I am extremely nervous about getting back into this specific SVR, but given the opportunity I would probably get another one as I really am just in love with the truck. Problem now is my other car is stuck at the VPC until December and I am driving around in a Ford Explorer….oh well, first world problems to say the least.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Agree I don't know if the vehicle can be transferred, but I think your purchasing dealer will be more eager to help in some way. I'd talk to them regardless and see--they may call corporate on your behalf regardless of what happens with the repair.

I guess an Explorer is better than nothing, but I'm surprised the dealer isn't at least putting you in one of their program cars. See the other thread in this forum where somebody (assume in the UK) had an issue with an SVR and was put into a new ATB! Now that's treatment.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,429 Posts
What happened to you was not just a failure of a part. It was a failure of a suspension piece that could have had fatal results. The lemon law in California comes into play after the vehicle is out of service for 30 days or 3 attempts to fix a problem. Whether the lemon law will pertain in your situation is secondary. You have lost confidence in your new car after the failure and are somewhat traumatized as well. Even if the left control arm is replaced, you would be hesitant to drive the vehicle with your family. What if one of the other control arms or another suspension piece failed. Tell them you know this is not a typical situation, but you want another vehicle. You would rather not deal with an attorney or involve the press with a picture on the news of your cocked wheel and hope they understand that you no longer want that car. Call it a second chance, a warning, karma or whatever, but now you have fears about driving that car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
svrchr -- sorry to hear about this awful luck with the SVR. I have an 18 with only 2500 miles and I'd be really upset by this as well. Mine has only had the usual complaints so far, touch pro duo going black sometimes, cameras randomly deciding not to work, and my overhead camera view is totally distorted. My carbon fiber hood had small chips around the vents and Land Rover shipped a brand new hood over from the UK and after a month or so the new one is starting to chip as well. I can sort of forgive the infotainment glitches (although still not really acceptable for a $150k vehicle) with hopes of a future update fixing it all. The clearcoat chipping is troubling but is only cosmetic. However if this thing completely lets me down somewhere like yours did I'm out of this brand for good. It's my 3rd Land Rover and my 2010 was pretty good to me but started acting up at 85k miles. As much as I love this SVR, and I mean I really really love it, I can't accept a major fault like that or being stranded somewhere. We'll see how it goes but I'll go back to a german brand if I have to. All I'm saying is I understand your apprehension with keeping it after they fix it all. I would feel the same.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2 cents 1. tow the car to your original dealer and work with them, assuming they will care more 2. talked to lawyer with lemon law specialty in your state

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
svrchr sorry for your mishap. Be grateful you are fine. Cars and parts are replaceable while we are not!

however someoine here talked of German brands... German brand you say? I had 5 BMWs in 20yrs and I have seen a new looking BMW with front wheel and suspension strut clean off and hanging on the side of the car on the highway. You see more jeeps with snapped axles than any other brand, but my point is this metal failure and can happen to any brand or anything really. Have you seen a boeing 737 with complete landing gear failure? Ofcourse a few times too. they collapse or snap right off. Thats infinitely more dangerous situation and am sure they are tested and built to better standards than anything on any car. We are talking hundreds of passengers lives. And you know what? It still happens. And am sure you fly in them all the time without ever giving it a second thought. They are not supposed to happen but still happen. Am not being apologist for Land Rover or anyone. I am just being factual and realistic. Fact of life. It happens. I would not be in fear of driving the SUV just because it happened to one arm. They are unlikely events and I doubt very much the fact it happened to one has any bearing at all on it happening again or to the other side. These a random uncorrelated events unless maybe you vehicle was dropped and repaired and you don't know about it. Having worked on an assembly line at one time in my life I can tell you the arms likely don't even come from the same production bunch. They are manufactured separately and later used weeks or months later on vehicles. Just my 2 cents and hope it put you at ease. driving your vehicles. The possibility of a catastrophic failure of any metal part will never be 0%

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would contact Land Rover Corporate to open a consumer complaint. You can find the contact information in the owners manual. Be certain to document everything that is discussed. They are a bit slow to react but this will get things moving. Contacting Land Rover was the first step in the buy back procedure for my 2017 TD6.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow that's nuts, I'm glad you're ok, as you said it really could have been so much worst.

So far the most infuriating part of your story is that the dealer your truck was towed to isn't taking care of you. To ask you to rent a vehicle, whether your bought from them or not, is unacceptable. I've owned numerous luxury brand vehicles and assuming the vehicle wasn't in an accident, I'm ALWAYS given a loaner. Even if they didn't have one on hand, they would send me over to the nearby rental car agency (who they have a deal with) and I would receive a loaner free of cost. Might seem like a small gesture in the grand scheme of the situation, but for heaven's sake take care of the customer.

As far as getting the vehicle replaced, I'm not sure how all that works. My brother lemon'd out a Mini a few years ago, but it was for a series of issues and because his car was in the shop so much. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting a new control arm, a few other parts and you're on your way. I'm glad it didn't tear up the side of your car or worse, etc.

As others have suggested, keep records (emails, notes of calls, times, dates, etc) and you should probably open up a case with Corporate.

I'm really sorry this happened. Keep us posted on how it goes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts