RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Couple of questions for consideration. I am by no means familiar with these servo motors or a multi meter too.
1. After removing the blend motors from their mounts, but still wired in, should I see the spindles turn when the airflow direction buttons pressed with aircon running? If the motors were good I would've thought I would at least see one of the three turn? ( unless they are all damaged, or some other problem perhaps? )
2. Has anyone tried to wire in a generic servo motor ( if one exists ) to the blend motor housing, rather than replace the whole unit? ( all my teeth on cogs are good )
3. Knowing I should have, but I didn't, does it matter where the flaps are positioned and how the spindle is re-inserted into the flap lever when the motors are re-fitted? Also which blend motor goes to which flap - does it matter?
4. Referring to point 3 above - position of spindle vs flap position, how does the servo motor know when to stop turning the flap ( is it some sort of resistance?)
5. It was also suggested I lube the flaps, and I agree, as the direction gear was a little hard to turn and I haven't been able to stop the airflow fully to the windscreen ( unless that is not possible ), but would imagine it would definately strain the motor. What would be the best way to lubricate the main direction flaps ( ie foot, face, windscreen ) as this was a little hard to turn by hand and would imagine it should be reasonably easy to turn.
Cheers
Brett

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
1 yes
2 no, but it's a generic motor, should be possible BUT it's most likely another issue.
3 no, there is a flat spot, can only go in one way. If you open it up there are arrows on the 2 final gears, point them towards each other. YES. One left, one right, one distribution (screen, face, foot...) while I was playing with mine, I found that they will over-travel unless mounted to the HVAC unit, and fault out, so put them back in for troubleshooting.
4 there is a potentiometer inside, as it sweeps the resistance value changes and tells the ECU where it is.
5 pass....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts

Had a look and feel on a removed heater matrix unit last week, indeed the flaps seem to be stiff, lubing them is not goig to be easy, in fact I would add that dash removal would be ideal to lube/sort the stiff flaps

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
viperover said:

Had a look and feel on a removed heater matrix unit last week, indeed the flaps seem to be stiff, lubing them is not goig to be easy, in fact I would add that dash removal would be ideal to lube/sort the stiff flaps
Or you could just use a large self tapper......

·
Registered
355 Posts
viperover said:

Remove the centre dash vent and drill a small hole in the heater box and squirt a small amount of WD 40 in the heater box, it has worked for me the last four years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts