RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These trucks are going to be the death of me :| . Seriously, I so want this truck as I need a second but saw this one down the hill for sale for only 3000 bucks. 133k on it. At home now trying to decide what to do. I wanted a 2nd car with better gas mileage but this (this series) was my first car. The nostalgia of it alone makes me smile behind the wheel. Its been coiled and ABS TC and Brake lights are on but surprisingly, it drives very well. What to do :think:

See, this is why I need to stay at work.

Me driving it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYuKWsobRg0

·
Registered
457 Posts
Classics are very cool, but they have to be in good nick, in UK they rust like hell. My sister has a 90 3.9 Vogue SE in good condition and I love driving it. I'll have to have one in my life at some point.

·
Registered
718 Posts
not to be off topic, but Rome Ga is not a city im reminded of often. My dad grew up there, and you could say my family has a lot goin on there... or at least did at one time... Nice to see an enthusiast in my "hometown"

·
Registered
541 Posts
vmy, if you are looking for someone to shoot you, this forum isn't the place! We see nothing wrong with your behavior and in fact will only probably encourage it. Classics are neat, and with a lot of goodies from some of the suppliers available, they seem fairly well supported too.

I am going to be shopping for a Defender later this year. I will probably need shot as well.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
I had a 93 Vogue SE,dark green with chocolate leather interior.I would still have it now if it were not for the rust,it was by far the best and most honest car I've ever driven.Way better than all the recent L322's,D3's and Sports.I had an immaculate Sport in today for servicing,did nothing for me on test drive,those wide low profile tyres spoil the ride and make alot of noise.Far too many useless gadgets and who needs an electronic parking brake ?
I'm rapidly losing interest in the more modern offerings,I went to look at a 1955 series one on the way home tonight,it needs a small amount of work to get it up to scratch again - now thats a REAL Land Rover........

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nope. You are on the way to my misery

1. 2004 Range Rover
2. 1999 Range Rover 4.0 SE
3. 1990 Range Rover

Old Range Rovers I have had
1. 1995 Range Rover County LWB
2. 1994 Range Rover County LWB
3. 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
4. 2002 Range Rover 4.6 HSE

Just bite the bullet and buy it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I got to drive an 06 TDV6 last night, what a lovely vehicle....reversing camera with park distance control, lots of other toys to play with but most surprising was the performance, flicked the transmission into sport and the thing took off like a scalded cat.....I want one of those too.....line up the firing squad.... 8-|=

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
LIRA said:
I got to drive an 06 TDV6 last night, what a lovely vehicle....reversing camera with park distance control, lots of other toys to play with but most surprising was the performance, flicked the transmission into sport and the thing took off like a scalded cat.....I want one of those too.....line up the firing squad.... 8-|=
A Sport? If so you should try the TDV8. Having driven the two back to back the performance difference is like night and day.
However I had a shot of a 3.0 TDV6 Disco4 a few weeks ago and I think that engine represents the best balance of power and economy.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
I had a 92 SWB in Forest Green owned it from 50k miles to 142k. I loved that truck but the higher the miles the more rust and problems. I thought about buying another for my second vehicle this year, but even the really low milage ones I saw with 60-70k on them had so much rust i decided to go with my 01 P38. I will eventually buy another and refinish it into an off road beast.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went back, and took a more detailed look. Yeah, there is a considerable amount of rust. I have a garage but how bad could this get???

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
get a classic, they are fantastic. Personally though I am thinking about a plastic dash one, the softdash has good AC, which is important here, but the smaller windscreen is somewhat killing me, also they have slightly less leg room around the transmission tunnel area. I miss my 88.

carefull as it could be something simple like a loose abs sensor or it could be an explensive replacement of bits.

That being said, get a classic colour coded to your P38 :) Its actually amazing how many people know both my cars but have to look at the plates or can only tell them apart by the fact the P38 has a screen in the dash. I can't believe these people!

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Buy the Classic.

1. They are only going up in value.
2. It will be a good learning truck if you arent much of a mechanic. Easy to work on and mod, make into a adventure rig save the P38s paint work.
3. Its a pretty low milage example. The rust isnt hard to patch and stop. You can buy a cheap welder and patch it up and repaint the spots. All Classics rust. Facts of life. :lol:

If your married I suggest letting her go on a shopping trip this Saturday at Saks 5th in Buckhead while you go buy it. So when shes going on about $3k you can bring up she spent that much shopping that day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 98 P38 DSE as my daily driver and a RRC 95 Softdash 3.9 for the weekend mucking about. Its my second RRC and its going the same way as the first one, rusting from both ends towards the middle :lol:
The rear cross member is shot now so its only a matter of time before the inner wings etc go.
The P38 is the most comfortable and relaxing car I've ever driven and I absolutely love it to bits (which it is often in :roll: ), but when I need something to make me smile I just go out to the RCC, start it up and go for a spin. My 2 kids love it too.

So if you can afford it, go for it :thumb:

Although if it was me I'd put it back on air - its an LSE after all, the original of the species!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I like them myself, but the missus doesn't so that is out of the window. Apparently they aren't "cute" enough 8~

I say go for it mate!

Martin

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well I just spent today driving an MY06 Supercharged Vogue. You think you have problems!

I've had my HSE for about 10 years now. The SC belongs to father in law and at times I drive it a fair bit. I can't justify upgrading the HSE as it does everything I ask - which is a lot and affording something better would mean giving up something else. But the SC is the most amazing car I've ever seen, driven or ridden in. The sound system is out of this world, the power is brilliant, the heated seats, steering wheel and multisplit cimate just perfect. It handles, it stops, the ride is so forgiving it is amazing. It is in druglord black. After accidentally doing a 4 wheel burnout and powerslide in the dry entering traffic, I thought you could not possibly want more power but now I am used to it I do wonder what the 2010 SC would be like with an extra 100hp.

Think yourself lucky you only test drove a 95 LSE!

Greg

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, While the nostalga is great, I need a second car for gas mileage. However, this truck may appear very soon to this board. :pray: :mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts